Mixed ram

Hello, i,m a complete noob and tryng to add ram.to my pc...

I have an Asus z170 pro gaming mother board with 2x4gb ripjaws 4 ddr4 2800mhz cl16 and i just found 2x8gb ripjaws v ddr4 2133mhz cl15 for a very good  pricw, my question is could i mix them? Or they wont work?

You can. It's no issue.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

You can. It's no issue.

That's not entirely true

@Striippopo

While you can mix and match, the ram has to be reasonably close in speeds to each other, wildly disparate ram speeds may cause issues, or the system refuses to boot.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

While the system may see, and use the RAM, if you have RAM sticks of differing sizes installed, you will lose dual channel performance.

17 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

While the system may see, and use the RAM, if you have RAM sticks of differing sizes installed, you will lose dual channel performance.

Would it not just make two dual channels as long as you have the matching sticks in the right slots?

If i would try them could it damage the pc?

And if they dont work should i stick with the one i have or should i buy the 2x8 gb and switch them?

12 minutes ago, KineticStorm said:

Would it not just make two dual channels as long as you have the matching sticks in the right slots?

That is correct. And if you have something like 3x4, 1x8, you'll still get 16GB in dual-channel mode and 4GB single-channel mode. In OP's case, all 24GB would run in dual-channel mode.

39 minutes ago, Striippopo said:

I have an Asus z170 pro gaming mother board with 2x4gb ripjaws 4 ddr4 2800mhz cl16 and i just found 2x8gb ripjaws v ddr4 2133mhz cl15 for a very good  pricw, my question is could i mix them? Or they wont work?

They will work (or, at least, they must work to claim DDR4 compliance). However, you are unlikely to have them all work at 2800 CL16, so wich exact speed you achieve is to be seen. The only "guaranteed" config is the JEDEC standard: 2133 CL15 in all of them.

8 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That is correct. And if you have something like 3x4, 1x8, you'll still get 16GB in dual-channel mode and 4GB single-channel mode. In OP's case, all 24GB would run in dual-channel mode.

They will work (or, at least, they must work to claim DDR4 compliance). However, you are unlikely to have them all work at 2800 CL16, so wich exact speed you achieve is to be seen. The only "guaranteed" config is the JEDEC standard: 2133 CL15 in all of them.

But would anyway be an upgrade of what I currently have?

2 hours ago, Striippopo said:

But would anyway be an upgrade of what I currently have?

Yes: it would be more RAM. Do you need more RAM?

2 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

@SpaceGhostC2C That's super cool, I didn't realize each bank of channels could be differing sizes. Learn something new every day!

?

When in doubt, in any case, always check the manual of the motherboard you have or plan to get to be sure of what works and how.