Motherboard won't reboot, unable to update BIOS

Hello all, I've got an H81M-P33 with a weird issue iv'e been chasing for ages. So for some reason the motherboard won't reboot properly. It starts from powered off completely fine, installed windows and using the computer fine. But when you restart from either windows itself or the BIOS (save changes and reboot) it doesn't boot. System fans are on but no signal or any splash screens. It just has an issue with restarting. Tried with the windows SSD plugged in and without, same thing, so it's nothing to do with the boot drive/windows install. This is with a i7 4790.

I've tried updating the BIOS as it's on quite an old one but M-Flash doesn't pick up the BIOS file on the USB stick. I've updated many a BIOS so pretty sure I'm not missing anything dumb. Files are extracted and in the root of the USB drive, tried several different USB sticks both 4GB and 8GB, reformatted several times including a few full formats as FAT32. The BOIS picks up the USB drives fine, but says there's no BIOS file. Tried a few other later BIOS versions and done several sanity checks but still the same.

I tried different RAM, no change, booting without any USB devices plugged in, no change. HOWEVER swapping to a Pentium G3220 and it reboots fine! I would say possible CPU issue with the i7 but I can't even update to the latest BIOS to rule out that :(

Any ideas on how I can get the BIOS to update? TIA

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

Old h81 motherboard.

I’m going to vaguely guess it’s something to do with a hybernation/sleep setting the thing is set to but does not support.  There are a bunch of them, and it’s not actually rebooting.  Just a vague random guess though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Old h81 motherboard.

I’m going to vaguely guess it’s something to do with a hybernation/sleep setting the thing is set to but does not support.  There are a bunch of them, and it’s not actually rebooting.  Just a vague random guess though.

Do you know what any of these settings would be called? Can't really see much apart from fast boot

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15