Project "Thunder Chaser" (Updated 4/11/14)

dale_ranchero

Hello and welcome to my build log for Project "Thunder Chaser" !

This is my jump back into the PC building world.  The last computer I built was probably late 90's - 2000ish.  I had jumped into console gaming because my friends had it and it was easier to play games with them that way.  But ever since this whole next gen console thing came around I started to get turned off by the whole console thing.  I'm not against them in any way, I would love to have a PS4, but building a computer that can blow away those 2 new consoles was my main drive.  Plus, I had always enjoyed building and researching.

I had never even heard of water cooling until about 2 months ago now.  It completely caught my eye and I couldn't get away from it.  I just had to try it.  This is also my first run into this whole new world.  I can't wait...

"Phase 1" - my initial stock build (completed February 26, 2014):
Case:  Thermaltake Chaser A31(Thunderbolt Edition)
MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 (rev 1.1)
CPU: i5 4670k (stock cooler)
Mem: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHz
GPU:  R9 290x MSI GTX 780Ti
PSU: Corsair AX860
Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2TB & 3TB Seagate Barracuda

"Phase 2" - Case Mod & Water Cooling (now in-progress):

Rads: Koolance 120 + BlackIce GT Stealth 240 & 360

Pump: Swiftech MCP35X

Res: Bitspower DDC Top Upgrade Kit 150

Mem: more 8GB G.Skill Sniper

(still doing my research on fittings, tubes, water blocks, coolant, and UV lighting)

"Phase 3" - Future Stuff...:

Custom Cables

Overclock!

2nd GPU?

**UPDATE LINKS**

March 28th, 2014 - Build Log #004

April 11th, 2014 - Test Fit Fan/Rad Vid

Video I made taking a close look at the case:

Just wanted to put out more info on this case as I think it has some potential.  This is just the start.  I plan on pushing this build pretty far.  Taking it from just stock parts, skipping out on some steps and moving straight into water cooling.  I've got a lot of plans mapped out so far and things look like they are finally coming together.  So join me on this ride!

**UPDATE 2/15/14**

001 Everything has been Rufus approved!

Got in my first batch of hardware today!

- Corsair AX860
- 8GB G.Skill Sniper
- Xigamatek mono fan controller
- Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD
- 4670k w/ stock cooler

Exciting stuff as this will make my computer usable!  I will be taking apart a Seagate 2TB external HDD to install inside my machine.  I enjoy the destructive bits.

003 Installed

There we go, looking goooooood.

004 Cable Management

Cable management is hard work in tight spaces.

005 Glowy Bits

updated :)

will add a video shortly of hardware install and more jabber about my plans for this build!

Project "Thunder Chaser" Build Log #001

Here's my video to compliment the update.  I will make this the very start of the build log #001.  With these parts and my fumbles to reclaiming my Windows 8 Pro key, this computer is up and running.  Install on all the parts was easy and cable managing was a bit of a puzzle.  I see it being a bit more cramped when I really start to pile parts in there.  So far I've played Hawken with some friends on Steam and though I was running pretty low settings, everything was playing smooth.

From here my next step is GPU.  I will be able to pick up a R9 290x a week from this post and I'll do a post on that as well.  Since it's a hot card I may start buying fans that will later be used in my water cooling setup.  Until then, I may have a closer look at my mono fan controller because if I could take it apart and some how integrate it into my case it would be cool to clean up the wires that come with its install.

Stay tuned~

Update for February 21, 2014

Small kind of update, no vids.  Just some pics and words.

006 Noctua

Got my hands on some Noctua NF-F12's.  I'm sure I don't need to say much on these fans.  But, since this was the first time I've ever held them in person, I would say that the quality is very good and the packaging is even over the top for a computer case fan.  I got these because I had plans on buying the R9 290x Ref card and I knew it was a hot card so I wanted extra air movement in my case.  Looks like those plans have changed.  I sold my 27" iMac this week which is pretty much going directly towards a GPU, a GTX 780Ti kind of GPU :D

All I can say to selling/re-selling Apple stuff is make sure it's in pretty much unopened condition.  People who want Apple stuff want that cleanliness and all that hoopla that comes with Apple asthetics.  I sold a Mid-2011 for just a little over half of what I paid for it.  Which is meh, at least I'm not going to be paying full price on a brand-spanking-new-high-end-green-team GPU.

007 Another External

Also acquired a Seagate external 3TB from work that I will also be putting into my system.  It has come to my attention that my plans for rads and water cooling might take away a lot of my storage space so I will be brain storming on how I can shove as much storage + an over kill of rads in my mid tower.  I enjoy the problem solving.

008 That Xigamatek Fan Controller

As for this Xigamatek Mono Fan Controller I wanted to mod onto my case, I've decided to hold off on the mod.  It would be cool to do, but thinking into the future build, I don't know if I will have a use for a mono fan controller, but will need more PWM type of controls.  The mod would be an easy one, although the knob is a bit tough to take off from the circuit board.  You'd have to take off that knob to take it off the expansion plate.  The circuit board is helt on by two screws and that's that.

009  Xigamatek Fan Controller

The very small size of this part would make it easy to slide into tight spaces and drilling a hole to fit the knob would be no sweat.

That's all I have for this update.  Next one should be Build Log #002.  I'll be installing a GTX 780Ti, 4 Noctuas and another HDD.
PEACE!

Picking up my 780Ti in a couple of hours!

Exciting times ahead and updates to come!

Project "Thunder Chaser" Build Log #002

GPU!!! xD

010 Fans + GPU

**Issues with ShadowPlay, would like help. Go to bottom of post. Thanks!**

Here it is, I finally get to put a discrete graphics card in my rig.  No more Intel HD, no more running out of memory space (except for you DayZ).  Hello insane graphics.  It also came with Assassin's Creed IV which is a nice added bonus to still not having to pay full price.  It really did help to get rid of my iMac.  The video pretty much explains everything and then some.

011 Green Team

It was a match made to be.  The green team definitely fits with my mobo and I now have a color scheme to start looking into more.  I like how the card filled a space that was there before.  Now with it in, I enjoy how it separates the cpu area and the psu/storage area.  The green lit GeForce GTX is also an added plus, although it doesn't really match the green LED on the mobo.  Green none the less.  Both colors I enjoy, so I am more than pleased with what's going on.

012 The Sloth

Working with all these cables makes me realize how much learning custom cables or even finding more custom fitted cables will help me with space issues.  I do see some things that I will have to work through once I have more components shoved into this case.  Shorter lengths will help with what bulk I have going on, like wires shoved under my store cages.  All the multiples of wires tucked into the edges and corners of the chassis will be lighten up.  And, I'd also like to clean up what the fan cables that I have going on.  Too many extensions and stuff.  I could take off the LNA adapters and just control it with mobo, which is what I will do :P

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I've got now.  But, I'm not done yet!  I want to do more planning, but I think next will be rads.  I've been researching a lot of sizes and I've found some that will fit just right (I hope).  There will be a few that  in my case, I want to over-kill a bit because I'm going to get into overclocking as well.  Expect posts and videos on that.  It's nice to have plans in the making.

This GPU also opens my ability to stream, which is something I also want to do.  Also another reason why I installed another HDD, this one 3TB of video storage goodness.  It has also come to my attention that since this is my main rig, and through learning the hard way.  I will need to install more memory into this thing.  I've had few instances where I've gotten memory warnings from Windows.  Mainly from MAGIX Video Editor and DayZ.  So two more G.Skill Snipers will be going on making this 16GB.  I'll keep this log posted on those happenings as then come.

013 THAR SHE GLOWS!

**Shadow play help!!**

So, I've been trying to use this ShadowPlay feature and I just can't get it to work.  I'm not sure what's going on.  The program starts up fine and the keyboard shortcuts work, but all I get are the indicator icons with red lines through them.  It just hasn't worked for me, neither the Twitch streaming or the manual video recording.  Kind of a bummer going on.  Been looking into it, will have to dig further also.  Any help would be great and much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Project "Thunder Chaser" Update!

In this video I just wanted to give an update on the current status of my build.  "Phase 1" - the initial stock build has been complete for about a week now and I've just been breaking it in.  I've ran a few stress tests, played a bunch of games, done some video editing, and a bit of bench marking.  Nothing extreme, just trying to get an idea of how well my comp performs in its stock config.

I did run into a small problem at first.  I was getting some strange "insufficient memory" pop-ups in Windows from running games.  Also I noticed that from a fresh boot my comp already had 50% load on my memory.  I found this all a bit strange and concerning so I took it to the forum.  It didn't take long until someone suggest I upgrade my motherboard's BIOS and since then I haven't seen those pop-ups.  So, I'm thinking that was the issue.  Plus, I think I'm going to go ahead and put 8 more gigs of memory in just because of the video editing that I'm starting to do.

Other than that small hiccup,  It's running smooth and I can't wait to build "Thunder Chaser" up even further.  Next, I will be getting into "Phase 2" which will be case modding, installing radiators and learning custom cables.  So stay tuned for that ~

014 So it begins.

Here we go.  Just got my rads in.  Ordered them yesterday.  Man, I love Dutch shipping.

Case mod and rad fitting vid coming upppp

Here we go.  Just got my rads in.  Ordered them yesterday.  Man, I love Dutch shipping.

Case mod and rad fitting vid coming upppp

Zijt ge Belg of Nederlands ?

Zijt ge Belg of Nederlands ?

Neither,

IMMA 'MURICAN!

I just live and work in the Netherlands.

Project "Thunder Chaser" Build Log #003

This build log is about planning my radiator config, the beginnings of my water cooling.  I had to do a small bit of modding to get a BlackIce GT Stealth 240 and 360 rad in this case.  As long as you have the proper tools, the mods I did were no sweat.  We had a drill, a dremel and a small metal/plastics saw.  And, all that was really done to my case were drilling out pop-rivets, removing some plastic pins in the top lid and taking out a small metal bar in the front of the case.

I'm glad I started here.  Just fitting rads, nothing major.  I haven't installed anything really.  I would say it's the best place to start with water cooling.  See what kind of rad config you can put into your machine.  Next step for me is getting my water blocks (CPU and GPU), tube res, pump, tubing, fittings and coolant.  So, I expect the next couple of videos to be about installing my water cooling loop.

Some minor things I came across while doing this fitting.  One was the length of the screws that were including with the rads.  They were just 1-2 mm too short.  I think it has to do with my case design and how the screw holes were all on raised "bumps"  If the screw holes were flat, the rad screws would have fit no problem and I could have test fitted the rads with fans on.  Also, the front fan mounts were not exactly flush with each other.  This made it so I had to drill the fan screw holes larger/wider to fit be able to fit the fans-to-case-to-rad.

The other thing I ran into was, since I took out the storage bays, I need to brain storm on where else to put my hard drives.  I'm planning on having a 2TB and 3TB HDD and 2 SSD in this rig.  It's going to be tricky, but I think I will manage to be able to fit them.

More planning!  Stay tuned for more~

Sweet build! I'm planning to get this case and was wondering if there is enough room at the top for a corsair h100i.

Windows 8.1 isn't that bad

I don't think high end audio cards are worth it. I find I get cleaner audio with an external DAC.

Sweet build! I'm planning to get this case and was wondering if there is enough room at the top for a corsair h100i.

Thanks!

The Corsair H100i will fit.  The radiator dimensions on it are: 120mm x 275mm x 27mm (without fans).

The radiator I'm using, BlackIceGT Steath 240 rad: 134mm x 277mm x 26mm (without fans).  The one I have is slightly bigger, but 1mm thinner.

Definite yes, just make note you will have to slightly mod the lid of the case in order to fit the fans under there.  You will have to remove a couple of the plastic pins under that top lid.  Watch my Build Log #003 for the example on what I modded, most likely what you'll have to do also.  Unless you plan on doing a push config (fans on the inside, no fans on the top) in which case I could do a test set up for you.  But, I've seen pictures of people using this case with a H100i with fans on the inside, just not sure if there was any work behind it.

On your build log 3 video you said that you need the storage for video editing. What if you used a NAS drive for storing your video files?

I don't think high end audio cards are worth it. I find I get cleaner audio with an external DAC.

Also, does the top panel still stay on well with those pins removed?

Looks good :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On your build log 3 video you said that you need the storage for video editing. What if you used a NAS drive for storing your video files?

Well...that's a good idea.  Been hearing more and more about a NAS.  Probably the way to go if I want storage....everywhere.

Also, does the top panel still stay on well with those pins removed?

Yup, the top still stays flush.  You'll just have to really get out that plastic well.

Better yet, take a look at this one. There are MUCH more color options.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E62XXRA/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, tons of colors.  But, I'm going black for my cables.  I want the focus/attention to be on the tubing and water blocks.  Planning on doing the whole green UV thing and whenever I see colored cables I feel like they take away from the over all look.  Personal thing of course.

Project "Thunder Chaser" Build Log #004

New water cooling parts came in!

015 New Stuff

• Bitspower DDC Top Acrylic
  • Bitspower DDC Top Upgrade Kit 150
  • Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi
  • GELID WING 12PL PWM 1800RPM Fan Blue LED
  • Koolance Radiator Mounting Screw & Nut
  • Swiftech MCP35X Pump
  • Some other M4 Screws
  • EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Nickel Original CSQ GPU water block

016 New Stuff (Opened)

More stuff for my water cooling loop.  Got these parts mostly to build my reservoir/pump combo to see how it well fit inside my rig.  The GPU water block I had on blackorder and didn't really know how long it would take to get to me, but I'm glad it came in now.  Won't be doing much with it until I get the rest of my loop parts in.  Most likely won't install water blocks until it's time to install the loop.

018 Res/pump Combo Test Fit

Res/pump combo looks solid and doesn't take up much space.  Could have fit a larger tube res on the pump, but I think this will fit just fine with all the tubing I still have to do.

017 Koolance Radiator Mounting Screw & Nut

These Koolance radiator screws & nuts are a life saver.  I thought I'd have to struggle to find screws that were long enough to fit my rads to my case.  The screws that came with my radiators were just a shy too short and I was a bit bummed.  These work very well and I have a bit more option when trying to figure out how to place them.  I'll probably go a bit more into it when I start installing all this stuff.

019 240 Rad Test Fit

Did a bit of test fitting with my 240 and 360 rad.  Everything is looking to fit just right.  Only thing I have to do is mod the front case fan holes to be a bit longer.

020 Top rad space.

Here's the amount of space between the top rad and my RAM.  Doesn't look like push/push-pull will be an option.  Not too worried about it.  But, for those of you who wanted to know.  My test results were not looking good with my G.Skill Sniper RAM.  I'd suggest VERY low profile.

021 Fans mounted to the rad.

Fans screwed into the top 240 rad.  Those new Koolance screw have a nut that you hand screw onto the screw.  Basically you place the screw into the rad, it has a perfect stopping point to not pierce the fins.  Then with the screws attached to the rad you stick the length of the screw through the fan holes, places the fans over the pins then screw on the black hand nut onto the screws.  I like this system versus screwing through the fan, case, and then into the rad.  If your case is like mine, you end up with not enough length at the end to screw into the rad for a solid connection.

022 Rad Space.

The top rad and the front rad in.  Nice amount of space between the openings.

023 Future is looking real nice.

Again using those Koolance radiator screws will make mounting a breeze.

024 Test fit.

Future looking very nice.  Coming up in the next build log, I want it to be more into install my water cooling loop.  Will be getting the rest of my parts in shortly.  I'll go into a bit more detail of the install of parts, mainly because this isn't such a popular case for water cooling.  It would be great to put the info out there because the case isn't very expensive either.  Already and a few people as me about it and fitting rads in.  So I'm glad I can help because I know it was hard for me to find good info before just diving in.

Stay tuned for more~

• 2 weeks later...

Project "Thunder Chaser"

Test fan fitting for push/push-pull w/ radiator.

Not really a build log, but just some more testing.  This was something that I had requested and just thought I'd add it to my build log.  Just some more info and testing on what type of set-up you can run in this case.  From my results you can run push/push-pull with a Noctua NF-F12 as long as your RAM comes in at under 40mm.  Very low profile ram would work the best to prevent a really tight squeeze.  My Noctuas were basically sitting on top of the RAM, which would completely bother me if I was running push/push-pull.  But, that's with my G.Skill Sniper RAM.

Stay tuned for the next build logs as they will be my dive into water cooling.  I will try to make this videos as detailed as I can while I go along my process of installing the parts.