"No signal" at 144Hz, but works at 100Hz (AOC CQ32G1)

Ancona150

I have an AOC CQ32G1 32" QHD 144Hz monitor. If I connect it to my Asus G752VS (1070 gpu, 1080p @120Hz) laptop via HDMI (2.0) at 1440p and 60Hz or 100Hz everything works great. But if I change the refresh rate to 120Hz or 144Hz the screen goes black and there is a "no signal" message.

I don't have a miniDisplayPort->DisplayPort adapter, so my only option is HDMI for now. Is it a hardware error with the monitor or could it be just a settings problem?

23 minutes ago, Ancona150 said:

I have an AOC CQ32G1 32" QHD 144Hz monitor. If I connect it to my Asus G752VS (1070 gpu, 1080p @120Hz) laptop via HDMI (2.0) at 1440p and 60Hz or 100Hz everything works great. But if I change the refresh rate to 120Hz or 144Hz the screen goes black and there is a "no signal" message.

I don't have a miniDisplayPort->DisplayPort adapter, so my only option is HDMI for now. Is it a hardware error with the monitor or could it be just a settings problem?

no it's probably your HDMI cable. To achieve these kind or refresh rate on a 1440p display you need a display port cable...OR:

According to this slide, you CAN do 144hz with HDMI 2.0...but you NEED an HDMI 2.0 compatible cable...which i would assume you don't use right now:

https://i.imgur.com/Vgosomf.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Also your monitor has 2 HDMI ports. One of those is HDMI 1.4, make sure you are connected to the HDMI 2.0 port on your monitor.

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no it's your cable.

It's the factory cable that came with the monitor. Do you think that AOC cheaped out on the cable? I just switched the cable with another one that I had at home, but the problem is still the same. If I go and buy a new cable, what should I pay attention to?

3 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Also your monitor has 2 HDMI ports. One of those is HDMI 1.4, make sure you are connected to the HDMI 2.0 port on your monitor.

Thank you, you're right, but I'm using the HDMI 2.0 port for sure. If I use the other port I only have 60Hz and 75Hz options.

I bought a miniDP-DP adapter and the monitor can operate at 144Hz with the DP cable. Maybe I'll test it with a quality HDMI cable later. I'm a bit disappointed that the HDMI connection is not working as I expected. Thank you for your comments.

• 7 months later...

Hi !
I've got the exact same issue with this monitor and my MSI GP75 Leopard 9SD laptop (gpu GTX 1660 Ti). I changed the HDMI cable but it still doesn't work. So I tried to connect the screen to another computer in HDMI and it works in 1440p@144Hz ! Same, I connected my laptop to an other screen in HDMI and I managed to display in 1440p@144Hz... I contacted the AOC support and they are talking about an "exotic incompatibility"...😑  If the monitor doesn't work in HDMI @144Hz with the PS5 I think I will get a refund from AOC