Wifes new build RX 570 performing below expectations

steelo

So, I built my wife a budget PC last week mainly for office work but capable of leisurely gaming once in awhile. I ran userbenchmarktest last night and everything is on par except for the RX 570 I installed. According to the test it is performing 'way below expectations' I even tried overclocking the GPU and vram but to no avail. This GPU (and CPU) was previously in my system before I upgraded and always performed quite well. I'm not sure if this has to do with her cheap MB, slower RAM speed, etc...

Her Specs:

ASRock B450M HDV r4.0

Ryzen 5 2400g (stock speed)

8 GB Ballistix 2400mhz RAM

Vaseky 128 GB m.2 (boot drive)

Gigabyte RX 570 4 gb OC'd to 1360mhz/1900 vram

500 GB HDD

My previous PC specs:

ASRock B450M HDV

Ryzen 5 2400g (stock)

8 GB G. Skill 3200mhz RAM

Gigabyte 240gb SSD (boot drive)

Gigabyte RX 570 4 gb OC'd to 1360mhz/1900mhz vram

500 GB HDD

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm not sure if this has to do with her cheap MB

definitely not

how is gaming performance? don't trust memebenchmark. I do see one sticking point for overall performance, but ti's CPU side

8 GB Ballistix 2400mhz RAM

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hello,

1 minute ago, steelo said:

userbenchmarktest

Use a real benchmark like 3dmark (free demo on Steam) because userbenchmark is just not a benchmark and bad.

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

definitely not

how is gaming performance? don't trust memebenchmark. I do see one sticking point for overall performance, but ti's CPU side

She really doesn't play super intensive games...I think she has Civ 5, bluestacks for ST online and Settlers of Catan installed right now. According to Radeon, she was averaging 67 fps in Catan and 100+ in Civ 5.

My RAM speed is a bit higher than what she's using, but I'd think the RX 570 could at least be rated as 'average'

I'm not terribly worried about it and to be honest, she probably would be just fine with the APU. I'm more curious if there is some type of bottleneck in her system.

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

My RAM speed is a bit higher than what she's using

does she have one ram dimm or two? if she's only using one, ram speed hardly matters because that's half the bandwidth possible.

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm not terribly worried about it, just curious if there is some type of bottleneck in her system.

if performance is up to her standards, a bottleneck hardly matters.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, steelo said:

Gigabyte RX 570 4 gb OC'd to 1360mhz/1900mhz vram

Try removing the Memory Overclock and test again. Such a high memory overclock can actually make the card perform worse. Also try lowering the GPU clock to see if that helps. Unstable overclocks can make the card misbehave.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

does she have one ram dimm or two? if she's only using one, ram speed hardly matters because that's half the bandwidth possible.

if performance is up to her standards, a bottleneck hardly matters.

She has 2 dimms installed for dual channel. It's just strange since my old system is nearly identical to hers, minus the RAM speed.

2 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Try removing the Memory Overclock and test again. Such a high memory overclock can actually make the card perform worse. Also try lowering the GPU clock to see if that helps. Unstable overclocks can make the card misbehave.

I forgot to mention, I ran the card stock, GPU only overclocked and then GPU and vram overclocked. All 3 results were the same for whatever reason.

Knowing Ryzen it might be something with the overclocked ram so reset the overclock and try it from there.

userbenchmark is a joke,nobody that knows computers uses it.

It's a really bad benchmark,the problem is that it's popular among casual users that don't know computers much.

For CPU i recommend Cinebench R15 or R20.

For GPU i recommend the 3DMark Time Spy or Fire Strike.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566