Suggestions for 1080p 60 fps ultra preset build

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

My suggestion is, forget this "stupid" Ultra preset.

I can show you a screenshot from GTA 5, where the player got only 22 fps (Sorry, german Forum): https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/actionspiele/537842-gta-v-mit-rtx-2070-30-fps.html#post9829357

In 1080p. With a 8 Core Intel (old prosumer platform) OCed, and a GTX Titan X (Pascal), also Overclocked.

His RTX 2080 ti manages 30 fps

If you need (blind) Ultra, if you need every single slider maxed out, then there is nothing to recommend you. By the fastest GPU you can afford / that exists right now, and hope for the best.

You will find a Game, that brings your GPU down. Not everyone, but eventualy one will.

Yes, this is a very hard extreme. But it's not an impossible one.

Ultra settings, compared to "High" Settings look maybe 1-2% better. If e ven. Mostly, you can take screenshots, zoom in, and then search for any differences.
but the additional performance needed is tremendous.

LEARN which settings actually do something, LEARN what they even do, and how much performance they take up.

Games are NOT optimized for Ultra.

If you don't see a difference, sliding Setting XY from High to Ultra, but it consumes 30% fps.. there is no reason to use this Setting.

Just to have mentioned this ?  So you're not surprised, when you get <60 fps on a Game, when everything is set to max.

Now to the Setup: From me, NO recommendation for the Intel system.
Switch that for a superior Ryzen, then it's a good choice.

Looking back even to 2011 when Intel's 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge launched, one single Thing can be said for certain:

It was ALWAYS a grave Mistake for any Gamer, to have chosen an i5 without Hyperthreading, compared to the i7 WITH Hyperthreading.

But this Mistake was only clear many Years later.

The missing Hyperthreading was always the reason, it needed to be upgraded, while the i7 still somehow managed.
With 6 Cores now instead of 4 the Problem is not as present today. But it WILL be present in the Future.

Just as a reminder, an i5 7600K (4 Cores, 4 Threads) even overclocked is NOT able to deliver 60 fps in the last 2-3 Assassin's Creed games. Because 4 Cores are simply inadequate anymore. It's a matter of time, before 6 Cores / 6 Threads will meet the same Fate.

Digitalfoundry made a Video 2015-2016~ about the old i5 2500K, and compared it to the i7 3700K (same socket).

Result was: On most Games, the i7 delivered 30-40% more fps, and slightly more min-fps,. Faster Ram 10-15% more fps through almost every single Game they tested.

In Crysis 3, the i5 fell below 50 fps, nothing you could do about that. While the i7 could hold 80+ fps.

--> do NOT Buy an Intel CPU without Hyperthreading (which is why... the cheapest Intel, that i can recommend at all is the i9 9900k, which is too expensive to be recommended), or an AMD CPU without SMT. Trust me, in the long run, you will not regret making this Decision.

If you buy the i5 without Hyperthreading, you WILL need to upgrade sooner, which will cost you money = you don't "save" anything on the long run.

Even the outdated and cheap Ryzen 5 2600(X) or Ryzen 7 2700(X) will be a MUCH better choice with MUCH better future Proof compared to this intel 6 Core cripple.

The ideal choice would be Ryzen 5 3600(X), because the 3000-gen provided better IPC. It's a 6 Core, but delivers SMT, so it's 12 Threads. And you can OC it - which isn't needed. Even out of the box the Clocks are higher than the i9 9400F - making it even faster for Gaming.

Edit: TL;DR and less "extreme" (sorry lol): It's fine, TODAY.

But missing out Hyperthreading/SMT will cause the CPU to become the bottleneck earlier, since many Games today are built to use more than 6 Cores even.
It will take less time, untill this i5 might not be able to hit 60 fps anymore (like the i5 4-Core Models couldn't with AC: Origins 2 years ago.

Check this out: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/assassins-creed-origins-benchmark/3/

Even old generation. The Ryzen 5 1500X is a 4 Core CPU like the i5 7600K. But it has SMT, which gives it 8 Threads.

It delivers 14% more fps, despite having alot less clock speed. Making it barely hit 60+ fps in average.

And 16% better Frametimes.

End of 2020, when next gen Consoles come out, Games will get a big  spec bump under the hood, scaling better with more Cores/Threads.

But still: It's fine, for TODAY. And probably the next 2-3 Years. Maybe you can't hit 60 fps anymore in 3 years, maybe in 4, maybe in 5. But it will be less than with a Ryzen 6-8 Core.

So, my recommendation: do NOT go for it. Get another System with an AMD Ryzen, at least 6 Cores and 12 Threads, and from the Ryzen 2000 generation (better 3000, but it costs a little bit more)

I'm scared of building my first gaming rig in fear of messing it up or components being DOA. I've come across this website in my country which sells SFF prebuilt gaming PC's/LAN builds and the one which I have eye on is of 900$ and 150$ monitor

Prebuilt PC

Monitor

So should I go for it ??

1 hour ago, sahildale said:

I'm scared of building my first gaming rig in fear of messing it up or components being DOA. I've come across this website in my country which sells SFF prebuilt gaming PC's/LAN builds and the one which I have eye on is of 900$ and 150$ monitor

Prebuilt PC

Monitor

So should I go for it ??

Yes definitely go for it.

It's a great deal since building it yourself would be even more expensive, and this doesn't even include any additional fans or WiFi card.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

its pretty small. Yeah why not, or if you want amd just ask them for the amd one

SmileyFace

15 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Thanks, one last query 

Since power is not continuous in my home , should I get a ups system or rely on the 1050va home inverter just to get me enough backup time to shut down the pc (pcpartpicker shows just 300 W consumption and the prebuilt pc has 700 W bronze psu )

11 minutes ago, sahildale said:

Thanks, one last query 

Since power is not continuous in my home , should I get a ups system or rely on the 1050va home inverter just to get me enough backup time to shut down the pc (pcpartpicker shows just 300 W consumption and the prebuilt pc has 700 W bronze psu )

I'm unsure what an Inverter does, but if it gets you clean power to your PC then a UPS wouldn't be a necessity but an accessory which is totally up to you, power outages won't kill a PC.

Less than 300W of Power Consumption at full load is correct, PSU capacity is just what it's able to provide/supply, not what it consumes.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

My suggestion is, forget this "stupid" Ultra preset.

I can show you a screenshot from GTA 5, where the player got only 22 fps (Sorry, german Forum): https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/actionspiele/537842-gta-v-mit-rtx-2070-30-fps.html#post9829357

In 1080p. With a 8 Core Intel (old prosumer platform) OCed, and a GTX Titan X (Pascal), also Overclocked.

His RTX 2080 ti manages 30 fps

If you need (blind) Ultra, if you need every single slider maxed out, then there is nothing to recommend you. By the fastest GPU you can afford / that exists right now, and hope for the best.

You will find a Game, that brings your GPU down. Not everyone, but eventualy one will.

Yes, this is a very hard extreme. But it's not an impossible one.

Ultra settings, compared to "High" Settings look maybe 1-2% better. If e ven. Mostly, you can take screenshots, zoom in, and then search for any differences.
but the additional performance needed is tremendous.

LEARN which settings actually do something, LEARN what they even do, and how much performance they take up.

Games are NOT optimized for Ultra.

If you don't see a difference, sliding Setting XY from High to Ultra, but it consumes 30% fps.. there is no reason to use this Setting.

Just to have mentioned this ?  So you're not surprised, when you get <60 fps on a Game, when everything is set to max.

Now to the Setup: From me, NO recommendation for the Intel system.
Switch that for a superior Ryzen, then it's a good choice.

Looking back even to 2011 when Intel's 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge launched, one single Thing can be said for certain:

It was ALWAYS a grave Mistake for any Gamer, to have chosen an i5 without Hyperthreading, compared to the i7 WITH Hyperthreading.

But this Mistake was only clear many Years later.

The missing Hyperthreading was always the reason, it needed to be upgraded, while the i7 still somehow managed.
With 6 Cores now instead of 4 the Problem is not as present today. But it WILL be present in the Future.

Just as a reminder, an i5 7600K (4 Cores, 4 Threads) even overclocked is NOT able to deliver 60 fps in the last 2-3 Assassin's Creed games. Because 4 Cores are simply inadequate anymore. It's a matter of time, before 6 Cores / 6 Threads will meet the same Fate.

Digitalfoundry made a Video 2015-2016~ about the old i5 2500K, and compared it to the i7 3700K (same socket).

Result was: On most Games, the i7 delivered 30-40% more fps, and slightly more min-fps,. Faster Ram 10-15% more fps through almost every single Game they tested.

In Crysis 3, the i5 fell below 50 fps, nothing you could do about that. While the i7 could hold 80+ fps.

--> do NOT Buy an Intel CPU without Hyperthreading (which is why... the cheapest Intel, that i can recommend at all is the i9 9900k, which is too expensive to be recommended), or an AMD CPU without SMT. Trust me, in the long run, you will not regret making this Decision.

If you buy the i5 without Hyperthreading, you WILL need to upgrade sooner, which will cost you money = you don't "save" anything on the long run.

Even the outdated and cheap Ryzen 5 2600(X) or Ryzen 7 2700(X) will be a MUCH better choice with MUCH better future Proof compared to this intel 6 Core cripple.

The ideal choice would be Ryzen 5 3600(X), because the 3000-gen provided better IPC. It's a 6 Core, but delivers SMT, so it's 12 Threads. And you can OC it - which isn't needed. Even out of the box the Clocks are higher than the i9 9400F - making it even faster for Gaming.

Edit: TL;DR and less "extreme" (sorry lol): It's fine, TODAY.

But missing out Hyperthreading/SMT will cause the CPU to become the bottleneck earlier, since many Games today are built to use more than 6 Cores even.
It will take less time, untill this i5 might not be able to hit 60 fps anymore (like the i5 4-Core Models couldn't with AC: Origins 2 years ago.

Check this out: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/assassins-creed-origins-benchmark/3/

Even old generation. The Ryzen 5 1500X is a 4 Core CPU like the i5 7600K. But it has SMT, which gives it 8 Threads.

It delivers 14% more fps, despite having alot less clock speed. Making it barely hit 60+ fps in average.

And 16% better Frametimes.

End of 2020, when next gen Consoles come out, Games will get a big  spec bump under the hood, scaling better with more Cores/Threads.

But still: It's fine, for TODAY. And probably the next 2-3 Years. Maybe you can't hit 60 fps anymore in 3 years, maybe in 4, maybe in 5. But it will be less than with a Ryzen 6-8 Core.

So, my recommendation: do NOT go for it. Get another System with an AMD Ryzen, at least 6 Cores and 12 Threads, and from the Ryzen 2000 generation (better 3000, but it costs a little bit more)