searching for a new HDD

Lighto
Go to solution Solved by terrytek,

Well, unlike WD's approach of squeezing an SSD and a HDD on one drive, which is crazy, Seagate has combined the capacity of an HDD and the speed of an SSD, and made it a hybrid drive. You can expect faster access and read times. The SSD-like cache is nothing like a true SSD, about 8-10 gigs, but it's still enough to have faster speeds. The drawback? Price. An SSHD costs about 40 bucks more than a regular HDD, at least, here in America.

So heres the deal. I'm looking for a 4TB HDD for my main setup.

What size do you want?
4TB
How much are you willing to pay for the space you want?
I'll pay for the best solution
How reliable do you want it to be?
pretty damn reliable
How fast do you want it to be?
not that important
What will you be doing with it?
make a few partitions on it and root folders in it.
Musik 500GB, Pictures 750GB, Games 1000GB, Documents 250GB, Downloads 1500GB.

Are you a fanboy?

Yes Western Digital

What's your boot drive?

I have a 500GB boot SSD.

What will you be doing with your system?

Gaming and Pro applications.

Now to my Question:

Which Western Digital "type" is right for me? 

blue, green, black or red.

Have a tek day,

Lighto

I say ditch WD forever. Go with a Barracuda or SSHD 3.5" drive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You don't really need red. Those are really for server/NAS applications. Blue is probably just right.

"Rawr XD"

You don't really need red. Those are really for server/NAS applications. Blue is probably just right.

Blue runs the slowest, but I believe has the highest reliability, with the slower spinning drive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Blue runs the slowest, but I believe has the highest reliability, with the slower spinning drive.

That would be green.

"Rawr XD"

That would be green.

I always thought the Blue was the slowest, being a 5.4K drive.

I say ditch WD forever. Go with a Barracuda or SSHD 3.5" drive.

why should I do this, could you give me a explanation? 

why should I do this, could you give me a explanation? 

I really don't want to say this, but I'm a Seagate fanboy. WD has shorter warranties, too many lineups to confuse you, and have short reliability.

That is my HO

I really don't want to say this, but I'm a Seagate fanboy. WD has shorter warranties, too many lineups to confuse you, and have short reliability.

That is my HO

Well, unlike WD's approach of squeezing an SSD and a HDD on one drive, which is crazy, Seagate has combined the capacity of an HDD and the speed of an SSD, and made it a hybrid drive. You can expect faster access and read times. The SSD-like cache is nothing like a true SSD, about 8-10 gigs, but it's still enough to have faster speeds. The drawback? Price. An SSHD costs about 40 bucks more than a regular HDD, at least, here in America.

thanks ;) I'm gonna go for the SSHD with the 60€ to 90€ cheaper price (at least in germany). :D 

thanks ;) I'm gonna go for the SSHD with the 60€ to 90€ cheaper price (at least in germany). :D

Yes. Now my work here of converting a WD fanboy to buy a Seagate is done.

I always thought the Blue was the slowest, being a 5.4K drive.

It's the other way around. Green is the 5400rpm drive. Blues are 7200.

"Rawr XD"

It's the other way around. Green is the 5400rpm drive. Blues are 7200.

No, no, no. I have a 5.4K Blue drive on my laptop, that BTW, crapped out years ago.

No, no, no. I have a 5.4K Blue drive on my laptop, that BTW, crapped out years ago.

This thread is about desktop drives not laptop drives. Yes, blue laptop drives are 5400rpm. Only the blacks were 7200rpm. 

"Rawr XD"

Squeezing an SSD and HDD on one drive can have great benefits if you want two separate drives to do two different things, and have a machine that is capable of it but only supports one drive. For example on a laptop you could put OS and programs you need to load fast on SSD, then everything else like files, movies, etc. on the big HDD.

SSHD is for if either you're too lazy to work two different drives, you have a device that doesn't support two drives (such as a game console), or you want better all-around performance. Slower boot times, but faster to load your.... movies? Word documents?

Idk. OP's preference. I have no bias when it comes to HDD manufacturers. 

"Rawr XD"

I'd say just get a Barracuda.

If you have the money, why not go crazy with a 8x 500GB SSD in RAID 0?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

This thread is about desktop drives not laptop drives. Yes, blue laptop drives are 5400rpm. Only the blacks were 7200rpm. 

No, I believe you're wrong. This section is about both desktop and laptop drives.

No, I believe you're wrong. This section is about both desktop and laptop drives.

I didn't say that. I said this thread is about the OP getting a desktop drive.

"Rawr XD"