Inline psu capacitors

AKO_Tall

Hello, i wanted to do some sleeving on my psu cables and found these inline capacitors which really hinder my progress, because i would have to buy wider sleeving to hide them. I have read on some forums about whether or not i can remove them. People say that cable mod for example sells cables without capacitors in them, as well as the psu maker themselves, so im inclined to think that i can just remove them and it wouldnt cause any difference. My psu is RM650x. Thanks in advance to any answers.

You'll lose some ripple filtering, that might cause instability with some GPUs, so it's not advisable.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

like juular said, they are for filtering ripple caused by the switching during the conversion from mains voltage to 12/5/3.3V. although removing them can cause instability of your system or damage to components, without them the ripple voltage isnt that bad with a decent power supply. corsair mainly adds them to push their power supplies a bit further from what i have seen. if you are planning on pushing your system really hard, leave them and try to bring them closer to the power supply where they are easyer to hide i think.

on the other end of the scale, i have seen off brand power supplies that were so badly made no ripple suppresion capacitors could save your system from damage. quite fun to watch sometimes

49 minutes ago, karsnoordhuis said:

like juular said, they are for filtering ripple caused by the switching during the conversion from mains voltage to 12/5/3.3V. although removing them can cause instability of your system or damage to components, without them the ripple voltage isnt that bad with a decent power supply. corsair mainly adds them to push their power supplies a bit further from what i have seen. if you are planning on pushing your system really hard, leave them and try to bring them closer to the power supply where they are easyer to hide i think.

on the other end of the scale, i have seen off brand power supplies that were so badly made no ripple suppresion capacitors could save your system from damage. quite fun to watch sometimes

I didnt overclock my gpu and cpu so its probably okay? I had much worse psu`s with which i have overclocked my cpu and gpu, and even with those i managed to not lit my house on fire.

1 hour ago, AKO_Tall said:

I had much worse psu`s with which i have overclocked my cpu and gpu, and even with those i managed to not lit my house on fire.

thats not what ripple does. that tends to happen when a bad quality power supply shorts out somehow. ripple is more subtle 400px-Smoothed_ripple_gray_background.svg.png 

this is an extreme case but does show it really well. after an AC signal gets rectified aka converted to dc you get voltage spikes. a capacitor can store some energy temporarely and release it at a later time. this smoothes out the signal as shown. the remaining peaks on the red line measured from highest to lowest point is the ripple voltage. most decent power supplies do a better job than this example. the ripple is usually sub 10 mV meaning the voltage isnt perfectly 12V or 5V but changes between 11.95 and 12.05V or 4.95 and 5.05V. This continuous change of voltage can affect some serious overclocks. that said, your RM650x has a ripple voltage of 7mV at 600W load on the 12V rail wich is excellent. i suspect taking them out will increase this with 5-10mV orso. still very good. the atx spec says it must be at most 120mV for the 12V rail and 50mV for the 5 and 3.3V rail.

You won't have any issues running cables without inline caps. The RMx is pretty good so ripple is pretty good regardless of the inline caps. They're pretty much just there to show marginally better ripple in PSU reviews and annoy people trying to do neat cable management.

Without these capacitors, ripple is still very acceptable; being as high as 25mV with a full load on the +12V rail of an RM1000i. This is exhibited on the HX1000i, which uses the same technologies as the RMi, but does not come with the Type 4 cables.

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/blog/Explanation-of-RMi-New-Type-4-Cables

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

58 minutes ago, karsnoordhuis said:

thats not what ripple does. that tends to happen when a bad quality power supply shorts out somehow. ripple is more subtle 400px-Smoothed_ripple_gray_background.svg.png 

this is an extreme case but does show it really well. after an AC signal gets rectified aka converted to dc you get voltage spikes. a capacitor can store some energy temporarely and release it at a later time. this smoothes out the signal as shown. the remaining peaks on the red line measured from highest to lowest point is the ripple voltage. most decent power supplies do a better job than this example. the ripple is usually sub 10 mV meaning the voltage isnt perfectly 12V or 5V but changes between 11.95 and 12.05V or 4.95 and 5.05V. This continuous change of voltage can affect some serious overclocks. that said, your RM650x has a ripple voltage of 7mV at 600W load on the 12V rail wich is excellent. i suspect taking them out will increase this with 5-10mV orso. still very good. the atx spec says it must be at most 120mV for the 12V rail and 50mV for the 5 and 3.3V rail.

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying, I will probably remove it later and finally get some sweet custom sleeved cables. I apreciate the replies.

6 hours ago, AKO_Tall said:

Hello, i wanted to do some sleeving on my psu cables and found these inline capacitors which really hinder my progress, because i would have to buy wider sleeving to hide them. I have read on some forums about whether or not i can remove them. People say that cable mod for example sells cables without capacitors in them, as well as the psu maker themselves, so im inclined to think that i can just remove them and it wouldnt cause any difference. My psu is RM650x. Thanks in advance to any answers.

Just leave the caps off.  They're not needed.