Plugging in my Laptop tanks my performance?

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

Dell's BIOS is designed such that if you plug in a charger that isn't the OEM brick at its original wattage, it will throttle your PC (and might not even charge). It was infuriating to have to carry a brick the size of a brick around instead of being able to use a 65W charger when I didn't need all that juice.

Hello lads, I'm not sure if there is a valid solution here but whenever i plug in my Dell i5 5577 Gaming with any rating other than the 130W brick it came with, it caps off performance and everything tanks to the point where i can't even watch YouTube. Yes, I know i should be using the 130W rated charger it came with but i left it at work and I'm off for the next two days. really don't want to spend $50 on a charger when I already have a surplus of old Dell 90W chargers. (which i am using right now I should add) I'm only bringing this up because Task Manager shows my CPU getting capped off in a way I've never seen before. Is this a software thing, And can i turn it off?

1879810510_Annotation2020-02-02223749.png.062dc10a5f98939bfa987d1c2bece5e2.png

Blue line shows when i plugged the 90W charger in.  

Dell's BIOS is designed such that if you plug in a charger that isn't the OEM brick at its original wattage, it will throttle your PC (and might not even charge). It was infuriating to have to carry a brick the size of a brick around instead of being able to use a 65W charger when I didn't need all that juice.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

52 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Well that's unfortunate to hear. I've had far too many negative experiences with Dell to say my next laptop will be one. Gotta love anti-consumerism.

10 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Well that's unfortunate to hear. I've had far too many negative experiences with Dell to say my next laptop will be one. Gotta love anti-consumerism.

It's to the point on r/dell that I would buy a MacBook Pro before buying a Dell, and modern MacBook Pros literally have a built-in self-destruct mechanism.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.