Mic

HDshiny

Looking at upgrading my microphone. I have a blue snowball at the moment but when I'm gaimg on my pc my friends can hear my keys click. Is there a microphone that can lower the audio that's behind the mic? 

"is there a mic that can lower the audio that's behind the mic" A directional mic yes. Is that affordable, not reasonably. You are better off figuring a headset style mic, or throwing Bill at the problem till you achieve your goals

bringing the blue snowball closer to your face and further from your keyboard will help a lot. I got a 12 dollar neweer stand for my snowball and although you CAN hear my keyboard it really isn't all that bad unless you slam your keys with the force of 1000 suns. I don't however have one of those clicky switches like MX Blue or anything of that sort, I have linear switches. 

For a different kind of fix that requires more money, a directional mic or at least dynamic mic will help. best case scenario will be a shotgun mic, some of the better examples like RØDE NTG series can be 200 dollars pretty quickly and then you'll also need an interface for it, which will probably start at like 50 bucks. 

ModMic is another option, getting the mic real close and you can turn down the gain so it'll pick up less keyboard in relation to mouth noises. 50 bucks starting price and you just plug it in and glue a little magnet to your headphones. pretty easy. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

On 2/1/2020 at 11:59 PM, Lauen said:

bringing the blue snowball closer to your face and further from your keyboard will help a lot. I got a 12 dollar neweer stand for my snowball and although you CAN hear my keyboard it really isn't all that bad unless you slam your keys with the force of 1000 suns. I don't however have one of those clicky switches like MX Blue or anything of that sort, I have linear switches. 

For a different kind of fix that requires more money, a directional mic or at least dynamic mic will help. best case scenario will be a shotgun mic, some of the better examples like RØDE NTG series can be 200 dollars pretty quickly and then you'll also need an interface for it, which will probably start at like 50 bucks. 

ModMic is another option, getting the mic real close and you can turn down the gain so it'll pick up less keyboard in relation to mouth noises. 50 bucks starting price and you just plug it in and glue a little magnet to your headphones. pretty easy. 

I have Gateron Blues. Looking at getting a mic stand but would prefure a better mic first. Any spe9ones to look out for? 

3 hours ago, HDshiny said:

I have Gateron Blues. Looking at getting a mic stand but would prefure a better mic first. Any spe9ones to look out for? 

A "better mic" is just going to pick up your keyboard noises... better. ?

Absolutely need to get the microphone closer to your mouth to reduce the relative volume of your keyboard. A cheap boom arm or a different style mic is the only way to do this.

8 hours ago, ShearMe said:

:)

I remember a guy on some forum (it's been 5 years since I read the thread and I can't find it again) who had a 5.1 surround setup and used a shotgun mic aimed directly at his face from on top of his monitor and claimed his friends could not hear him play BF3 or 4 or which ever was the one he played. but that's expensive, while that neweer arm is not. 

Even a shotgun mic will pick up the keyboard noise, though at a lower level. If you want to get rid of keyboard noise you have 2 options: not use a keyboard or place a microphone so damn close to your mic that you can set the gain incredibly low. That way the sounds from the keyboard would be almost undetectable to anyone listening.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:59 AM, Lauen said:

bringing the blue snowball closer to your face and further from your keyboard will help a lot. I got a 12 dollar neweer stand for my snowball

So basically this. Put the mic almost against your face, turn the gain waaaaaay down and talk loud. You should be in business.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:59 AM, Lauen said:

For a different kind of fix that requires more money, a directional mic or at least dynamic mic will help.

A dynamic mic is expensive because it'll need some audio interface/mixer to be used. I'm not aware of any of those that you can plug straight into a computer. (Though if you do, let me know)

7 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

)) 

I unfortunately don't have personal experience with the shotgun mics but I HAVE experience first hand the difference bringing the mic real close does. you can get really bad dynamic mics that plug right into your 3.5mm mic input that sound like a wet fart in a too small bong for very cheap. I've heard tons of screaming / growling tutorials on youtube that use this kind of mic and it sounds exactly like the russians I meet in northeast EU matchmaking in CS:GO. truly incredible microphones that somehow literally only sound like breaking glass on top of an empty steel container before you even start speaking

edit: my post turned out to not make any sense at all after I posted it but eh, I'm leaving it as is 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, HDshiny said:

Looking at upgrading my microphone. I have a blue snowball at the moment but when I'm gaimg on my pc my friends can hear my keys click. Is there a microphone that can lower the audio that's behind the mic? 

Blue Yeti Nano will do the trick.

2 hours ago, Lauen said:

I unfortunately don't have personal experience with the shotgun mics but I HAVE experience first hand the difference bringing the mic real close does. you can get really bad dynamic mics that plug right into your 3.5mm mic input that sound like a wet fart in a too small bong for very cheap. I've heard tons of screaming / growling tutorials on youtube that use this kind of mic and it sounds exactly like the russians I meet in northeast EU matchmaking in CS:GO. truly incredible microphones that somehow literally only sound like breaking glass on top of an empty steel container before you even start speaking

edit: my post turned out to not make any sense at all after I posted it but eh, I'm leaving it as is 

Yes, I know those microphones. They are AWFUL. (former user here ?)  But that's why I said that a dynamic microphone is more expensive than you'd think, because you need to get a good one, and you'll need some proper interface to use it. What I meant to say is that I'm not aware of any good dynamic mic that plugs right into a pc.

1. blue yeti is not much more and can be used as a directional mic. i had the same problem. add a boom arm to get it away from the keyboard and closer to you.

2. another thing you could try is to add a noise gate to cut down on the keyboard noise. they might here it when you talk, but other then that when you are not talking it should be on mute tell you talk again

I think that this issue is a common “disease” on this subgroup. There a way too many people recommending Blue Yeti or similar large diaphragm condenser microphones which WILL pickup keyboard clicks, computer fans and other noises. Many base their recommendations on “streamer x is using it so it must be good”. Maybe it is for them, but it doesn’t mean that it will suite everybody the same. 
Next, people buy those microphones and then put them next to the keyboard and they are wondering why are they picking keyboard klicks. <sarcasm>I also wonder why?</sarcasm>.

So for the future users, don’t buy Blue Yeti or similar microphones if you have concerns about picking up surrounding noises. Go for something like modmic or similar or with dynamic microphones. Rode has dynamic microphone with USB connector if I remember well. 

For those who already have one, putting it on the stand and position it that the keyboard is exactly behind the capsule will help To certain point . Noise gate will also help when the user is not talking, but noise gate is not a magical device/software which will filter key clicks. 

And just to add one more thing, even if you buy Neumann U87 for several thousand dollars, it would be just the same s*** in terms of picking up surrounding noise. 

I really stopped counting how many times I’ve written the same thing, but no one listens :/