How loud is 110 db spl?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
2 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Guys, look at the title, 110 db SPL, not dbA, sorry for confusion

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

Doesn't really change things much.

110 dB SPL is standing 1m beside a chainsaw. Again, without hearing protection, that can damage your hearing.

For short bursts, shouldn't cause permanent damage, but don't make a habit of it.

Planning on buying hd 660s, my amp could drive them at a sound pressure level of 110 db SPL(!!). Is that loud enough? Digizoid calls it "fairly loud" but I have no idea wether thats sufficient.

Do you want hearing loss? It is loud enough for that. You would be required to have and use hearing protection under EU noise at work regulations by listening at that level for about 90 seconds.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

22 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Planning on buying hd 660s, my amp could drive them at a sound pressure level of 110 db. Is that loud enough? Digizoid calls it "fairly loud" but I have no idea wether thats sufficient.

110 dB is fuuuuucking loud.

https://www.earq.com/hearing-health/decibels

It's about the equivalent of standing beside an active jackhammer or powersaw. Neither of which you'd want to do without hearing protection.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

Doesn't really change things much.

110 dB SPL is standing 1m beside a chainsaw. Again, without hearing protection, that can damage your hearing.

For short bursts, shouldn't cause permanent damage, but don't make a habit of it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Actually according to your link less than 2 minutes cause permanent damage

1 minute ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Actually according to your link less than 2 minutes cause permanent damage

*shrugs* either way it's not a good idea xD

I sure as hell wouldn't stand 1m away from a live chainsaw without hearing protection.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

*shrugs* either way it's not a good idea xD

I sure as hell wouldn't stand 1m away from a live chainsaw without hearing protection.

Hell I wouldn't subject myself to 90+ dB without hearing protection for longer than I have to.

It's also important to know that your source material and DAC (the input voltage to your amp) are going to change the actual to-your-ears dB level. Spoken word, soft jazz,and classical recordings will generally be significantly lower than your typical gaming, movies, and popular music. You can't JUST run a calculation on the amplifier specs because you need to know the output of the DAC.... and you can't JUST add the DAC calculations because you need to know the dBV range of your audio track... and that is going to change between just about every media source.

For this reason, scientific measurements and calculations are generally insufficient to describe to an individual how certain gear will perform in their setup. You either need a lot of calculations based off information you don't have, or lots of measurements made with equipment you don't have.