poor seq read performance using cachecade on dell h700

_BJE_
Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,

It sounds like you're using a single SSD? Consider that each disk is limited by its SATA interface speed, so if you have a single SSD then the absolute max you're going to get is approx 550MB/s. Really Cachecade should probably have at least a couple of them for a benefit on most HDD arrays. 

Also add to that that the Samsung EVO's are TLC and use an onboard small SLC buffer like most other cheaper consumer SSD's to get their speed.

On the 500GB EVO its about 6GB, so if you're writing files larger than this, after that SLC buffer is consumed, then the raw speed of an SSD can drop considerably to about 50MB/s or less. They also suffer due to the lack of TRIM support on the RAID Card as leadeater pointed out. 

Ideally you want at least an MLC SSD such as a Samsung Pro and most of the affordable Enterprise SSDs, or at the very high end an SLC SSD such as some of the expensive enterprise SSD's. 

here is the run down of the situation i recently decided to give cachecade a try to see if i can boost the performance of the server but after a few trys and benchmarks it seems instead of benefiting there are more problem and i have no idea what is causing it. without using ssd cache i get 8-900 MB/s seq read and usually 6-700 MB/s seq write but once i used cachecade my seq read plummeted to around 350 MB/s sometime even 100-200 MB/s write speed is around the same since dell said it only caches read. during benchmark if i use file smaller than 1gb in seq red i get the usual performance since it uses the on board 1gb catch it has on the raid controller but yea any input on what is causing will be a massive help

ps. im no expert just someone that likes tinkering so sorry if i sound dumb

EDIT: reandom read saw improvement across the board while using cachecade just seq read took a massive impact so its kinda working i guess and anything below 500mb file size uses the on board cache.

Cachecade on 

Capture4.PNG.d5fc99a3cc76259b0c671c9180ba39a2.PNG Capture.PNG.3e9b219c5f267b7d4038a99e9983460b.PNG

Cachcade off

1733581783_Capture2.PNG.d6271224dcdc19a60fdbfb3168400cb9.PNGCapture3.PNG.37bae5359779ba8f3e8144a4fb2ca472.PNG

system

duo intel x5667 cpu

16g ddr3 ecc mem

dell perc h700 raid controller

6x4tb ironwolf drives in raid 5

ssd samsung 850evo 500gb

Edited by _BJE_

I've had problems before with LSI RAID controllers and Samsung consumer SSDs, using and not using CacheCade. I think using ESXi was a contributing factor. Anyway SSDs on RAID cards means TRIM isn't supported and a lot of SSDs just don't like that and quite quickly lose performance. I was using 840 and 850 Pros which would eventually get stuck at around 30-40 MB/s seq read/write, I'd take them off the RAID card and put them on to my Windows desktop and run a diskpart clean and that would get the performance back but it would always happen.

I'd suggest getting a used server SSD off ebay if you really want to use that feature of your RAID card.

It sounds like you're using a single SSD? Consider that each disk is limited by its SATA interface speed, so if you have a single SSD then the absolute max you're going to get is approx 550MB/s. Really Cachecade should probably have at least a couple of them for a benefit on most HDD arrays. 

Also add to that that the Samsung EVO's are TLC and use an onboard small SLC buffer like most other cheaper consumer SSD's to get their speed.

On the 500GB EVO its about 6GB, so if you're writing files larger than this, after that SLC buffer is consumed, then the raw speed of an SSD can drop considerably to about 50MB/s or less. They also suffer due to the lack of TRIM support on the RAID Card as leadeater pointed out. 

Ideally you want at least an MLC SSD such as a Samsung Pro and most of the affordable Enterprise SSDs, or at the very high end an SLC SSD such as some of the expensive enterprise SSD's. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

4 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Alright thanks for informing me that. ill probably run it without cache and see if i can use the ssd elsewhere