Should I upgrade my GPU?

Lucas_k

Currently running a 1050ti 4gb, wondering if upgrading to a GTX1660 6GB will do me any good. Only downside to this GPU is that GTA5 and assasins creed odyssey on high settings are limited to 30-70 fps.

1 minute ago, GeoHandle said:

At what resolution and refresh rate?

1080P And I think 77hz but I am looking for a new monitor too. On the other side Ive heard that you should go to a higher refresh rate because it will drive you crazy when you play on a 60hz rfr monitor after using a 144hz rfr monitor.

6 minutes ago, Lucas_k said:

Currently running a 1050ti 4gb, wondering if upgrading to a GTX1660 6GB will do me any good. Only downside to this GPU is that GTA5 and assasins creed odyssey on high settings are limited to 30-70 fps.

A 1660 Super would be a pretty decent upgrade from what you currently have.

Just now, Lucas_k said:

1080P And I think 77hz but I am looking for a new monitor too. On the other side Ive heard that you should go to a higher refresh rate because it will drive you crazy when you play on a 60hz rfr monitor after using a 144hz rfr monitor.

I have a 60 Hz monitor at work and a 144Hz monitor at home. I just don't care enough :P

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I have a 60 Hz monitor at work and a 144Hz monitor at home. I just don't care enough :P

Ah I just found out my current monitor has 5ms response time and 77hz rfr, New monitor it is.

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

But the real question: Is a 1660 really worth the upgrade? even if I buy a 144hz monitor.

6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You can enjoy the 144 Hz experience on the desktop. Seeing the mouse move at a buttery smooth rate is a pleasant experience.

I am just alergic to throwing old hardware away :l, and no one will buy it from me because its quite outdated.

1 hour ago, Lucas_k said:

But the real question: Is a 1660 really worth the upgrade? even if I buy a 144hz monitor.

1660 Super is a huge upgrade from 1050 Ti. Based on techpowerup's 1440p benchmarks (to eliminate cpu a bit as a factor) you're looking at nearly a tripling around a 2.4x increase in framerate. At 1080p in their benchmarks you're still looking at 2.85x  2.3x performance. I mean that's a pretty night and day difference. I don't think wait for Ampere really works in this segment since even if we do get Ampere 7nm gaming cards (which is a BIG if still) you're probably not getting a 1660 Super replacement for a year since they usually launch the upper midrange stuff in the 70 and 80 series first.

Of course the next gen consoles are rumored to have nearly 5700 XT gpu power or better, so honestly any new gpu right now is of questionable value IMO. So it might be worth waiting a month (for the rumored reveal) to see official specs for the PS5 to see what the next gen console baseline is going to look like. Still, if you have no interest in consoles and have stuff you really want to play right now, you gotta consider the value of that year you'd probably be waiting to get something better. Maybe at the end of the year there will be an RDNA2 RX 5500 XT replacement to give you a bigger upgrade in that same price range, but that's pretty uncertain. I wouldn't necessarily expect it because I think AMD's going to have a lot of their wafers going to the new consoles. I imagine it's a big reason why right now the RX 5700 XT is still $400 despite only being a 251mm^2 die (eg something only 8% bigger than the RX 480 8GB that launched at $240 more than three and a half years ago).

EDIT: Sorry, I fucked the math up in the now struck through numbers. Still very much a night and day difference in performance though.

Also though, AC Odyssey is a very cpu bound game, so if you're running anything less than say a Ryzen 5 3600 or an 8000 series i5 you may not get the kind of upgrade in framerate you're hoping for. I haven't played GTA V in probably four years, but it was cpu bound for me back then at 1080p with a Xeon E3-1231v3 (think Haswell gen i7, 4C/8T) and a GTX 970. And a 1660 Super is a pretty nice upgrade from a 970 (1660S should be around 60% stronger). But this was in SP in GTA V, I don't know how the online runs.

7 hours ago, Lucas_k said:

A 1660 Super would be the optimal for your upgrade path. It should allow you to max out the settings in those games, and get a 60 FPS minimum.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms