Corsair 650d Vs. Define R4 Which One?

Lenyd

Now I know that these two cases are in two different price brackets but i have a bit of a delimma here and i really need this friendly community's help

I built machine for the first time last summer and i want to update some of the parts this summer. One of the parts is my case

My goal is to renovate my rig into a silent machine with great asthetics. And so i am torn between the two cases: 650D and DefineR4. (Fan is not an issue becasue i will most likely be using NF-F12s for performance and Corsair SP fans for asthetics.

Define R4's features optimized for silence suits my need perfectly but 650D's asthetics make me drool.

Please help :(

The 650D has more ventalation since the top fan is big. Even if it is a bit pricey it is good. Hope this helps!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Cases are very subjective, and it depends heavily on what you really want. You say you want to renovate your rig to be silent; if so get the R4 as it does have features which help with sound deadening. On the other hand, if you really want to go for "all show" then the 650D is, as you say, very aesthetically pleasing. What do you want more? Silence, or looks? It may help to narrow down what you like about the 650D's look that makes it better than the R4's looks - the window? Rounded edges? Colour scheme?

Hey Dave.....nice pic

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The 650D has more ventalation since the top fan is big. Even if it is a bit pricey it is good. Hope this helps!

But how silent is the 650D?

Cases are very subjective, and it depends heavily on what you really want. You say you want to renovate your rig to be silent; if so get the R4 as it does have features which help with sound deadening. On the other hand, if you really want to go for "all show" then the 650D is, as you say, very aesthetically pleasing. What do you want more? Silence, or looks? I

t may help to narrow down what you like about the 650D's look that makes it better than the R4's looks - the window? Rounded edges? Colour scheme?

As selfish as i may sound, i really want both D: I guess i like the tall look of 650D without being ridiculously large like the 800D or the 900D. If i were to go with silence-optimized fans, would R4 contribute much?

But how silent is the 650D?

As selfish as i may sound, i really want both D: I guess i like the tall look of 650D without being ridiculously large like the 800D or the 900D. If i were to go with silence-optimized fans, would R4 contribute much?

All depend on what is running. Normally they have silent fans and even aftermarkets have silent fans.

All depend on what is running. Normally they have silent fans and even aftermarkets have silent fans.

but how does the case itself compete with the R4?

The define r4 is inherently a more quiet case and with its compatibility with standard fans such as Noctua pressure optimized 140mm model it may be a better fit for your needs. With that said I bought a case with freakin 92mm fan mounts because I wanted the look...

The define r4 is inherently a more quiet case and with its compatibility with standard fans such as Noctua pressure optimized 140mm model it may be a better fit for your needs. With that said I bought a case with freakin 92mm fan mounts because I wanted the look...

Linus just dropped the bomb. There's your answer!

Linus just dropped the bomb. There's your answer!

holy crap

linus commented on my thread

18f7bdG.gif

alright... R4 it is

a noisey build is what is noisey in hardware. the case will only muffle the sound. not delete it completely.

some non-front panel door cases are as quite. so take your noisiest component and fix that, too..

love the R4

airdeano

holy crap

linus commented on my thread

18f7bdG.gif

alright... R4 it is

A wild Linus has appeared!

OP if you like the R4 but want something taller without being huge look at the define XL.  Same looks and general features but a bit bigger.  

I love both cases but if looking for silence then the R4. If you want to add aesthetics then the new windowed side panels look damn sexy.

I do love the look of the 650D aesthetically overall and it does have the features to match but the price difference I'd have to go with the R4 with the window, otherwise no window I'd go 650D.

Fractal has done an amazing job of listening to their customers and making the right adjustments. Corsair are leading the way with innovation and I truely believe these two companies will lead the future of cases.

Hope you find what you're looking for and hope to see it on the build log if you decide to show it off.

I'd pick a 650D over any case any day, expect for an 800D and a 900D :P 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Id go for a Define R4 all the way. It will muffle the sound better and has good enough airflow. Aesthetics of the case also look wonderful. Another feature is that the R4 has a USB 3.0 header so you dont have to run the USB cables though the case and out the back like what you have to do with the Corsair 650D. If you want a corsair case with feature almost identical to the R4, you can consider the Corsair 550D for $149.99. But the 550D doesnt have a side panel window and is more expensive than the R4. So id go with the R4

My Rig- 

• CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V Pro
  • RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
  • GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DC2 @ 1100Mhz Boost
  • PSU - Corsair HX650
  • Case - Corsair 500R White Edition
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Monitor - Samsung S22B370H 21.5'' 1080p
  • HDD - Seagate 1TB @ 7200rpm
  • Optical Drive - LG DVD Writer
  • Keyboard Mouse - Logitech MK200 

I have a Define R4 and its great, I dont think you will be disappointed with the 650d either, both great cases.

OP if you like the R4 but want something taller without being huge look at the define XL.  Same looks and general features but a bit bigger.

How does the XL compete with R4 in terms of silence

I love both cases but if looking for silence then the R4. If you want to add aesthetics then the new windowed side panels look damn sexy.

I do love the look of the 650D aesthetically overall and it does have the features to match but the price difference I'd have to go with the R4 with the window, otherwise no window I'd go 650D.

Fractal has done an amazing job of listening to their customers and making the right adjustments. Corsair are leading the way with innovation and I truely believe these two companies will lead the future of cases.

Hope you find what you're looking for and hope to see it on the build log if you decide to show it off.

Haha thank you. And i will definitely post it on the build log once i get around to it!

Define R4 with window and custom LED strip lighting would do the trick :)

The build quality on the R4 is supposed to be top notch.

got to love Asus components

Cases both look professional, I'd go for the 650D though. It looks well structured. 

System

• CPU: Intel core i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68P-DS3
  • Ram: G.Skill 2x4GB (8GB) 1600 
  • SSD:  Intel 520 120GB
  • GPU: MSI GTX 660 OC
  • PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 80 Bronze
  • Case: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer

The Define R4 is awesome. It is quieter, has better potential airflow, and is less expensive for a subjectively more attractive product. Either way, both cases are good choices, so good luck with your decision.

R4 all the way! I've put together a few rigs in them and currently modding out a black one, Absolutely love the thing, tons of room for cable management and the silence is bliss.

Few complaints being the way the ssd mounts on the mobo tray have been implemented and I have a personal issue with included fan controllers. Other then that it's near perfect.

R4 all the way! I've put together a few rigs in them and currently modding out a black one, Absolutely love the thing, tons of room for cable management and the silence is bliss.

Few complaints being the way the ssd mounts on the mobo tray have been implemented and I have a personal issue with included fan controllers. Other then that it's near perfect.

The Define R4 is awesome. It is quieter, has better potential airflow, and is less expensive for a subjectively more attractive product. Either way, both cases are good choices, so good luck with your decision.

Thank you guys for your response. However i have one last concern...

can a dual rad all-in-on cooler such as H100i or H220 fit in the R4? i've been reading some reviews and it seems like R4 cant fit one despite the fact that it has a 2x120mm exhaust on the top :(

I have owned both, prefer the R4. 

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel Core i7-3820 | Gigabyte X79-UP4 | Swiftech H220 | 16GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTX 780 SC | Crucial M4 128GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB | 5x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15 | Corsair AX750

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/12550-my-r4/'>My R4