Anyone have a Sprint LG V50 5G?

nick name

I ordered one because it was on sale and was told by two Sprint telesales reps that I wouldn't have to change plans though the website said I would.  One further elaborated and said I'd need the new plan to be able to use 5G, but 5G isn't in my city and I don't need it anyway.  And when I said that to him -- he said then I wouldn't need to change my plan.  

Just wanna see if anyone here has one, but didn't change their plan when they activated it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Website probably meant that if the buyer wanted to use the phone with cell service, he would need to change to a Sprint service if not already on one (because it's a carrier locked phone)

And of course if there are specific plans in order to get 5G service, you'd have to switch to that plan to use 5G. The phone being 5G enabled doesn't mean it can't use regular 3/4G service.

I'm not on Sprint and have never been to the US.

I appreciate your effort, but this didn't help.  

The website explicitly said to change my current Sprint plan.  The website knows I'm a subscriber.

I don't recall any other band requiring a certain service.  3G, LTE when both were new they required new phones, but not new plans.  I think this is new for 5G and the only logical reason (though it's probably more based on making money where they can) is that the service is faster and has the capability of consuming more data more quickly.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

15 hours ago, nick name said:

but not new plans.

When LTE was introduced they charged an extra $10 a month for 4G phones. I know this because I was a Sprint Sub back then. 

Also for the record your probably never going to see 5G from Sprint. T Mobile is almost done with the lawsuits from the states blocking the merger between them and Sprint. T Mobile is not likely to upgrade any of the Sprint network as they will be killing it off in a few years anyway.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

When LTE was introduced they charged an extra $10 a month for 4G phones. I know this because I was a Sprint Sub back then. 

Also for the record your probably never going to see 5G from Sprint. T Mobile is almost done with the lawsuits from the states blocking the merger between them and Sprint. T Mobile is not likely to upgrade any of the Sprint network as they will be killing it off in a few years anyway.

I don't recall having to change plans back then, but maybe I did.  

And there's a lot of money behind Sprint.  I'm pretty sure they're not going to just let Sprint die.  

54 minutes ago, nick name said:

I don't recall having to change plans back then, but maybe I did.  

And there's a lot of money behind Sprint.  I'm pretty sure they're not going to just let Sprint die.  

T Mobile is a GSM provider everyting under 4G at Sprint is CDMA, they WILL kill the network. And no Sprint doesnt have money. They have a Japaneese company that is helping them, remeber Sprint is owned by Softbank. But Softbank doesnt want to sink the money in to them to build out 5G. T Mobile is only in it for the spectrum. So yes, Sprint WILL DIE. Its just a matter of time. And I say Good riddance because Sprints network when I used it was terrible and their customer service was shit. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

T Mobile is a GSM provider everyting under 4G at Sprint is CDMA, they WILL kill the network. And no Sprint doesnt have money. They have a Japaneese company that is helping them, remeber Sprint is owned by Softbank. But Softbank doesnt want to sink the money in to them to build out 5G. T Mobile is only in it for the spectrum. So yes, Sprint WILL DIE. Its just a matter of time. And I say Good riddance because Sprints network when I used it was terrible and their customer service was shit. 

I said money behind Sprint.  I know it's Softbank and Softbank throws money around.  They'll do what they need to do to keep Sprint around long enough to find some solution to their problem.  And I know about the network types and the spectrums they operate.  What made Sprint suck before is what makes the spectrum they operate so attractive for 5G.   

1 minute ago, nick name said:

ep Sprint around long enough to find some solution to their problem.

DUDE T Mobile already has FCC approval. Once the states get paid off that have sued to get the merger haulted, T Mobile will effectivly own Sprint. Once T Mobile owns Sprint they will gut the fuckers for the spectrum. That invovlves killing off the Sprint network as its not compatible with the T Mobile network. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/t-mobile-sprint-merger/

The Justice Department has officially approved the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile. 

The U.S. government’s objections to the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile are starting to evaporate as Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai and Commissioner Brendan Carr both signaled their support for the merger. Their backing is based on the two companies’ promise of rolling out an extensive 5G network, commitment to accelerated in-home broadband access to currently underserved communities across the country and in rural areas, and promise of increased competition in the U.S. wireless market.

n a filing on May 20, T-Mobile outlined a binding commitment to building out its 5G network and to escalating broadband wireless services to rural America

t mobile sprint merger new economic shareholder ownership

As you see Deutsche Telekom has control, meaning the T Mobile CEO has control of the company. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

DUDE T Mobile already has FCC approval. Once the states get paid off that have sued to get the merger haulted, T Mobile will effectivly own Sprint. Once T Mobile owns Sprint they will gut the fuckers for the spectrum. That invovlves killing off the Sprint network as its not compatible with the T Mobile network. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/t-mobile-sprint-merger/

As you see Deutsche Telekom has control, meaning the T Mobile CEO has control of the company. 

I know what will happen to Sprint after the merger.  I'm talking about an instance where it doesn't happen.  

Just now, nick name said:

I know what will happen to Sprint after the merger.  I'm talking about an instance where it doesn't happen.  

They have Approval. Its happening. The miniuet the DOJ and FCC granted approval its was pretty much a done deal. The states that are holding out will get what ever bribe they want. Thats how it works. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

They have Approval. Its happening. The miniuet the DOJ and FCC granted approval its was pretty much a done deal. The states that are holding out will get what ever bribe they want. Thats how it works. 

Yeah, I'm confident it's going to happen.  I'm just entertaining an option in the rare event it doesn't.  

Sigh.  Can't use the LG V50 without changing to a 5G plan.  On to option number two.  

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

artificial requirement

Probably this. When I was a customer they charged an extra $10 a month becuase my device supported 4G, but they didnt even have 4G in the area. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Probably this. When I was a customer they charged an extra $10 a month becuase my device supported 4G, but they didnt even have 4G in the area. 

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Is that a phone hardware limitation, or an artificial requirement by Sprint to get the phone?

I'm assuming it's artificial in that if a new plan is a technical requirement then they probably could have baked in whatever new bits were needed into making existing plans to get them working.  

It wouldn't be a problem if I were using one of their more recent plans, but the plan I use is the old framily plan with the maxed out discount.  So it's $55 for the plan and a $30 discount.  It's essentially $25 a line.