Is this color banding? (ASUS VG248QG)

NguyenAirlines
Go to solution Solved by NguyenAirlines,
13 hours ago, badreg said:

This is 100% in the source. This attachment is a screenshot, not a photo, and you can easily see the concentric curves of bands from dark to light. If you zoom in past 100% in Photoshop or another image viewer, you can clearing see what is going on. The codec uses a limited number of colors and uses a dot pattern to dither the transitions.

banding.jpg

Gotcha, I found an ICC profile that minimizes this effect in videos and games. Thanks for the help badreg!

I just got this monitor a few days ago and noticed some blockiness while watching videos and in in-game cut scenes. I have tried everything from changing the gamma, reinstalling the drivers, and plugging it into another pc but to no avail. Lagom banding and black square tests seem fine. Any suggestions?

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

Yes, that's banding, but it's from compression in the cutscene, not your monitor.

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

Yes, that's banding, but it's from compression in the cutscene, not your monitor.

The 2 bottom images are from YouTube videos. I played these on my old monitor and saw no visible blocks

Just now, NguyenAirlines said:

The 2 bottom images are from YouTube videos. I played these on my old monitor and saw no visible blocks

Have you confirmed that you are in 8BPC depth or higher? The banding is either in the source video or your monitor settings. Hardware color banding does not look like this.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Have you confirmed that you are in 8BPC depth or higher? The banding is either in the source video or your monitor settings. Hardware color banding does not look like this.

The monitor is showing up as 8BPC 32-bit. All the settings in the OSD were set to default. No contrast boost or any other enhancements 

image.png.8071b11d3038d94547be65841ff7faef.png

Link and timestamps to the videos in question, please?

The VG248QG is a native 6-bit display, so that can cause visible banding in gradients. However, dithering results in very fine transitions, unlike the blockiness that you are showing. The blockiness is very characteristic of the macroblock compression used by many video codecs.

31 minutes ago, badreg said:

Link and timestamps to the videos in question, please?

The VG248QG is a native 6-bit display, so that can cause visible banding in gradients. However, dithering results in very fine transitions, unlike the blockiness that you are showing. The blockiness is very characteristic of the macroblock compression used by many video codecs.

I was using gameplay from Battlefront 2 and this video 

I did some digging online and fixed alot of the blockiness when loading battlefront

This is 100% in the source. This attachment is a screenshot, not a photo, and you can easily see the concentric curves of bands from dark to light. If you zoom in past 100% in Photoshop or another image viewer, you can clearing see what is going on. The codec uses a limited number of colors and uses a dot pattern to dither the transitions.

banding.jpg

13 hours ago, badreg said:

banding.jpg

Gotcha, I found an ICC profile that minimizes this effect in videos and games. Thanks for the help badreg!

• 4 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, NguyenAirlines said:

I just got this monitor. Could you please share the ICC profile? The one I found was for the vg248qe version. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 11:45 AM, xestan said:

I just got this monitor. Could you please share the ICC profile? The one I found was for the vg248qe version. Thanks!

asus_vg248qe_svet (2).icm I fiddled around with the gamma settings in Nvidia control panel and tested my results on the Battlefront 2 loading screen