PSU refusing to work unless cable in exact right postion

Bushpig2dope

So my Cooler Master MWE 650W Gold Power Supply has run without issue when I first built my new pc but lately the PSU has been giving me issues. The cable constantly needs to be shifted and placed correctly to turn the pc on, making sparking noises, yes great I know. Then I can shove the cable in all the way once the PC actually boots. If I try to shove the cable in all the way as you normally would, no go. I believe this is the cause of a new issue I've been having. My PC shutting down when gaming. At first it was after a little bit but now when I try to load into the first level of the Quake II RTX demo it simply shuts down my PC instantly (I tried this game because its actually kinda demanding). I believe my PC is receiving insufficient power with the faulty PSU

Opinions? Fixes? Anything appreciated :)

Something is badly worn.  Cable connectors are generally species to wear out sooner than ports so the chances are decent that a new cable will help.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, johnny5c said:

Have you tried a different cable?

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Something is badly worn.  Cable connectors are generally species to wear out sooner than ports so the chances are decent that a new cable will help.

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a different cable which worked perfectly fine on my old PC

14 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a different cable which worked perfectly fine on my old PC

You may have a worn port then.  Fixes for that one are less pleasant.  You by any chance handy with a soldering iron?

UPDATE: I was somehow thinking some sort of motherboard USB problem.  If this is the wall cord and the PSU things are entirely different.  Do not open up a PSU.  

Edited by Bombastinator
Important update

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Another thought.  This is the PSU, on a white box desktop, yes?  Is the PSU new enough to RMA?  

21 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

So my Cooler Master MWE 650W Gold Power Supply has run without issue when I first built my new pc but lately the PSU has been giving me issues. The cable constantly needs to be shifted and placed correctly to turn the pc on, making sparking noises, yes great I know. Then I can shove the cable in all the way once the PC actually boots. If I try to shove the cable in all the way as you normally would, no go. I believe this is the cause of a new issue I've been having. My PC shutting down when gaming. At first it was after a little bit but now when I try to load into the first level of the Quake II RTX demo it simply shuts down my PC instantly (I tried this game because its actually kinda demanding). I believe my PC is receiving insufficient power with the faulty PSU

Opinions? Fixes? Anything appreciated :)

"The cable"

What cable?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Another thought.  This is the PSU, on a white box desktop, yes?  Is the PSU new enough to RMA?  

It is new enough to RMA yeah. Also white box desktop? Meaning custom built? Yeah I built it in the middle of last year roughly

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

"The cable"

What cable?

From the power point to the power supply, maybe should have specified

9 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

It is new enough to RMA yeah. Also white box desktop? Meaning custom built? Yeah I built it in the middle of last year roughly

RMA the PSU.

23 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

So the power cord? The cord from the wall to the PC?

Use another cord.  Where are you located?

Make sure the cord is something made for the amount of current the PSU is made to deliver.

I've seen people use power cords from monitors (lower wattage) on their PC (higher wattage) and cause all sorts of problems.