Network rack improvement...ish.

EricTrujillo

Guys, I have come across a dilemma.

Below is my network rack.

As you can see, most of my network equipment is sitting on a $25 IKEA table, which I realize is not the most elegant of solutions or the most safe. My new server is literally sitting on the floor on the carpet, because its too tall to fit under the table (in a normal tower config) and just a hair too wide to fit comfortably in its current position (the legs are bending a bit). Its also too heavy for the table (Its about 120 lbs)  So I need to find something else to put my rack on. Anybody have any ideas? I am working with limited space, but I think I can get away with another inch or 2 of clearance in both height and width.

Server Rack.jpg

Get a 4 post open frame server rack.  remove the table all together. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

You could probably make your own table out of 4"x4" wood legs and a 1" to 1.5" thick plywood top. So long as the bearing weight is strait down on the legs (add leg braces) you could probably stand several people on it before exceeding the strength.

Maybe if you know a buddy who is into metal work that's an option too.

59 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

what is the rack you have your top most equipment in at the moment?

https://www.navepoint.com/navepoint-12u-swing-gate-wallmount-rack.html I thought it would be able to fit everything into it, but then when I got the new server and even my router, its not deep enough.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

You could probably make your own table out of 4"x4" wood legs and a 1" to 1.5" thick plywood top. So long as the bearing weight is strait down on the legs (add leg braces) you could probably stand several people on it before exceeding the strength.

Maybe if you know a buddy who is into metal work that's an option too.

That's an option I hand't considered, but I'll look into it.