Gaming PC Donation Ideas and Sources

Deceptikhan42

Hi Everyone,

I'm working with my son to build a PC (actually its turned out to be more than one) in order to donate to local kids whose families are not able to provide them with the glorious opportunity to be part of the PC Master Race. You'll have to read the post on reddit below as it started out as him asking for a PC but it was actually so he could donate it. He just didn't think I would be onboard. Anyway, we have started taking donations through reddit and FB marketplace and I have purchased some items (or at least paid for shipping on some others). So this thread has two purposes:

1) Any ideas what might be good cheap parts? I feel like a saw a video of someone using old server Xeon chips and what not but I'm relatively new to the PC building game (only 1 credit to my name).

2) If anyone has any recommendations for sources of parts, please let me know. We'd love to build as many as possible.

Cheers.

For more information and to join in the conversation, find our thread under the subreddit of CanadianHardwareSwap and search for Niagara, ON

Edited by wkdpaul

look at old ddr3 prebuilts and throwing in like an rx 570

it will be substantially cheaper than building your own.

contact the seller about extra pcie cable on the psu

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

39 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

look at old ddr3 prebuilts and throwing in like an rx 570

it will be substantially cheaper than building your own.

contact the seller about extra pcie cable on the psu

ok thanks. How old is too old in your opinion? i7-47xx?

1 minute ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I am using a 4700 and Its still ok for gaming

Ok so that's helpful. so maybe avoid 4th gen i5's then?

2 minutes ago, Deceptikhan42 said:

Ok so that's helpful. so maybe avoid 4th gen i5's then?

I'm not too sure

intel 4th and 5th gen should be just fine, the fact that your even thinking about doing this makes me happy. i never had the opportunity to get into pc gaming when i was little.

a tech company *cough cough* comcast *cough* got listed in the news or donating a "brand new laptop" when really it was only $200 and sucks more ass than a brothel worker, they probably ended up making more out of publicity, so with you looking to actually put money into this is great.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

intel 4th and 5th gen should be just fine, the fact that your even thinking about doing this makes me happy. i never had the opportunity to get into pc gaming when i was little.

a tech company *cough cough* comcast *cough* got listed in the news or donating a "brand new laptop" when really it was only $200 and sucks more ass than a brothel worker, they probably ended up making more out of publicity, so with you looking to actually put money into this is great.

i have been fortunate to always have a pc and am happy to pass that along. This is turning into an opportunity to show my son that good people exist despite what he sees/hears in the news.

5 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Will you be using craigslist? Freegeek could also me an option.

Craigslist skeeves me out a bit but beggars can't be choosers i guess. Never heard of freegeek so i will check it out.

1 hour ago, Deceptikhan42 said:

Craigslist skeeves me out a bit but beggars can't be choosers i guess. Never heard of freegeek so i will check it out.

Freegeek is kinda awesome.  They used to be nearly everywhere but they’re not anymore :/

they take donations of old computer equipment have volunteers refurbish it and give the machines away to people who need computers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Geek

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.