Can a GPU a bottleneck you or is it only w CPUs?

ManOfDisguise

I know if you have a weak, very cheap CPU it can bottleneck your GPU but does it also work the other way around? So say if I have a really really beast CPU but something like 7750 or just some budget GPU will it hold me back/bottleneck me?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I'm currently running a FX6350 OC'd to 4.7Ghz with a Nvidia 240GT until i get my summer job.

you tell me.

I didn't buy the 240GT to clarify- I had it on hand, I bought a 1440p monitor with the money i should've spent on a gpu. ah well i don't game much  anyways so I think i made a good deal.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

I know if you have a weak, very cheap CPU it can bottleneck your GPU but does it also work the other way around? So say if I have a really really beast CPU but something like 7750 or just some budget GPU will it hold me back/bottleneck me?

You obviously can't get 30+ fps on crysis ultra with a gt210 and a six core extreme edition. So the answer is obvious.

Well it would make no sense to buy a beast CPU and a crap GPU in the first place but I guess if it were to happen like that you would not really be getting a bottleneck, it would just be limited to the power of the GPU. Im winging it so dont count on that lol

Someone correct me if im wrong pls

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

With most mid range cpus your bottleneck will be the gpus.

an i5 2500k is an old mid/high range i5 but will not bottleneck most modern highend gpus. meaning if you upgraded from a say 280X to a 780 you WILL see better fps meaning that that cpu was not a bottleneck.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Depends on the application! 

In games.. obviously, you need a good GPU.

Surprised you have soo many posts on this forum and haven't worked this one out yet xD

EDIT: Are you trolling us I looked at your profile and you have an 8350 and a 770

Fun fact - most, if not all, gaming systems are designed with a GPU bottleneck. You want the GPU to be used as much as possible. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Having a low end GPU will decrease gaming performance but it will not affect CPU performance in CPU heavy applications. And for anyone buying parts for a gaming system it its much better idea to buy a high end GPU and less powerful CPU because CPUs will bottleneck your performance but not in any big way until you get down the most budget CPUs. So for and example say you have 500 dollars to buy a CPU and GPU it is a much better idea to but a $150-$200 CPU like an AMD FX-8320 and a $300-$350 GPU like a GTX 770 than buying a 300 dollar CPU like a i7-4770k and a much less powerful GPU like a R9 270.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

Fun fact - most, if not all, gaming systems are designed with a GPU bottleneck. You want the GPU to be used as much as possible. 

Wow, that fact was both fun AND informative.

Funner Fact-Most rigs built on pcpartpicker are designed with a gpu bottleneck in mind so that you can always upgrade your gpu when the new series comes out. For instance, I could of put a 680 in my system with my i5 when I built it, but then I would have no upgrade path as anything higher than a 680 would bottleneck my i5. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Yeah, the 6550D APU I used to use bottleneck the CPU part of the APU quite a bit. I now have a 650ti Boost 2GB overclocked. My CPU bottlenecks it in some of the more CPU intensive games such as BeamNG Drive where it bottlenecks the GPU by about 20+FPS depending on map/car. (Max settings, no postFX.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245