Transporting a PC

Go to solution Solved by simtransporter,

I would probably remove the graphics card, maybe the PSU, any hard drives you may have... make sure they are stored securly when transported, I think everything else can stay in the case, it should be fine.

Hi,

I have to transport my PC. The distance is around 600km, so it will be hard moment for it.

What should I disassemble and how can I prepare my pc for the travel?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I have to transport my PC. The distance is around 600km, so it will be hard moment for it.

Thanks for any advice.

If you have a hdd then take that with you in a bag and also I'd say if you have these plastic air pockets then stuff it into the pc case.

You transport it without taking it apart if it won't be shaking around too hard.

Quote me to get a reply!

I usually just pick it up and put it in the car. Taking it apart may be a good idea, make sure you have good cushioning in the car. I usually have it against or sitting on something soft during transit so it doesn't go flying all over the place.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I would take apart the GPU because it's not very securely fit on the motherboard. And lots of foam out side to decrease movement,

remove your gpu and some hard drives put them in a tight secure container. and the rest stays in the chassis, just make sure you dont move it all the time. I assume you have a car as means of transport.

I would probably remove the graphics card, maybe the PSU, any hard drives you may have... make sure they are stored securly when transported, I think everything else can stay in the case, it should be fine.

Anytime I move it, I take out the GPU, and either leave it stood up, or led down with the CPU against the floor, so the cooler isn't hanging.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Put a seat belt around your computer and call it a day. chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f    Hahaa the Kappa

If you're in water cooling just remove the hdd's and call it a day.

seat belts and those good stuff. unless you're traveling by air then that I don;t know what to do besides on how those guys send systme through air cargo or something.

Live your life like a dream.

Just about every other weekend, last summer I hauled my midtower with me. Drive is almost 250 miles. The ref 780 is tough. I didn't disassemble anything.

20130708 183438

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Why PSU? I mean most PSUs just slide into a spot which makes them click into a position which it can't be moved out of unless you forcefully push it

just put the pc so that your motherboard is at the bottom and call it a day. Seriously a pc isn't that sensitive.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

If you're in water cooling just remove the hdd's and call it a day.

seat belts and those good stuff. unless you're traveling by air then that I don;t know what to do besides on how those guys send systme through air cargo or something.

I have quite small air cooler, so it won't be a problem.

Why PSU? I mean most PSUs just slide into a spot which makes them click into a position which it can't be moved out of unless you forcefully push it

? My psu is screwed.

I will remove my hdd, gpu and maybe psu(probably not). I don't wanna risk with my lovely gtx770 ;).

I move my PC 250 miles (about 400km) on a regular basis, and it's a full-tower. Honestly, unless it has to be upright I don't disassemble anything, and even if if has to be upright rather than laid flat all I take out is the GPU. HDDs aren't that sensitive to movement if they're not on - I mean c'mon you think they get handled that gently by the delivery company? As for PSUs... I have literally never heard anyone suggest taking them out before lol.

You shouldn't have to remove anything from the computer as long as you drive carefully.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

Yeah I don't think you need to take the PSU out, It's just me being excessively safe.... If I was moving my system, I would probably consider taking mine out since it's quite large and heavy and being modular it's easy for me to do it., but I guess it it's not that important.

My psu is modular and heavy, but I think my case will handle It.

I won't be driving, It will be somebody else. That's why I'm so careful.

And It's not a car, It's mini bus. That's why I'm scared. ;)

if it's a mini bus or like those fx or vans then you should have no problem you can just let it sit there besides you and it's golden.

best bet is to lay it down with the mobo facing upwards. just in case you got your drive cages jump from their spot in those place with plumps no the road (sorry don't know what it's called but we normally call it a humb).

it happened with me when I was carrying my bitfenix prodigy where I saw my hdd slid out and went to a different position (after opening it).

Live your life like a dream.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice.

Anti-static bubblewrap!

My n00Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NameOfNoInterest/saved/ 

Do you really expect me to know things? 

$25.67/$~2500 (Price changes hourly..) I'm 1/100th of the way there!