New 3600 in a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Go to solution Solved by LukaH,
1 minute ago, unusualydynamo said:

So just hope that it has at least the BIOS on it that supports Ryzen 3000's or start looking for local helo, haha thanks for your help on this.

Yup :) it should be obvious right away if it is updated - it should have a "suports ryzen 3rg gen" sticker on the box. good luck!

Ive heard a lot about having to flash a new BIOS with some of the newer AMD CPUs and this is the first time i am installing a new CPU and Motherboard. I am curious if/ what issues i may come against when doing my first boot on this new Motherboard and CPU.

It will be boring, because it won't even boot

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

If everything is working like it should you shouldn't have any issues. But like you said the only problem would be, if the bios is not flashed to the version that supports ryzen 3xxx CPUs. If the board has a usb flashback function you can flash it without a CPU.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

8 minutes ago, LukaH said:

If everything is working like it should you shouldn't have any issues. But like you said the only problem would be, if the bios is not flashed to the version that supports ryzen 3xxx CPUs. If the board has a usb flashback function you can flash it without a CPU.

So just download the most recent BIOS from MSI for my board and plug it in one of the usb ports and flash it to the board should be all i need to do? just making sure.

So just download the most recent BIOS from MSI for my board and plug it in one of the usb ports and flash it to the board should be all i need to do? just making sure.

IF the board has the FLASHBACK function yes It doesn't i checked. otherwise you'll need an older CPU or take it to a local shop and ask them if they can do it for you OR maybe the place you are buying it from offers that service before you buy.

28 minutes ago, LukaH said:

IF the board has the FLASHBACK function yes It doesn't i checked. otherwise you'll need an older CPU or take it to a local shop and ask them if they can do it for you OR maybe the place you are buying it from offers that service before you buy.

So just hope that it has at least the BIOS on it that supports Ryzen 3000's or start looking for local helo, haha thanks for your help on this.

Yup :) it should be obvious right away if it is updated - it should have a "suports ryzen 3rg gen" sticker on the box. good luck!