HP Proliant DL360 G5 - Worth it in 2020?

LOLZR

I have a local guy on Kijiji selling a HP Proliant DL360 G5 for $80 Canadian and I don't know as much about server grade equipment as I would like. Specs are:

• Intel Xeon E5405 x 2
  • 10 gb RAM
  • P400i RAID card

Couple of questions:

• Will this be suited for my needs? (NAS, Plex, maybe a minecraft server?)
  • Is this a good price?

Thank you very much to anyone who replies. :)

CPU: i7-8700k MOBO: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z390 RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz GPU: 1080ti

For 80 maple leafs...sure it's worth it.  That said you will still have to buy drives..not sure if it will work with SSD.  

Well, as @Electronics Wizardy already pointed out, the system draws an awful lot of power. The Xeon E5405 has a TDP of 80W (times two you get to 160W only for the CPUs). These chips were released in 2009, scoring 2835 on PassMark (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5405+%40+2.00GHz&id=1231). To put that into context: An i5-2520M, a notebook CPU from 2011, has a PassMark score of 3593 (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2520M+%40+2.50GHz&id=809) with two fewer cores and a TDP of only 35W.

That said your server will be reaching quite high power consumption quickly because the by today's standards weak CPUs are going to need quite a lot of power for even lighter tasks. Considering that you'll probably going to run this 24/ 7, it will cost you quite some money xD

Just as a quick calculation: Assume the average power consumption is 50W (probably a bit optimistic), than the system will need 438kWh of energy a year. Multiply by the cost per kWh and you'll probably end up with considerably over 100$/ year (I don't know the average power costs in Canada, though, so only a guess).

With that said, if you just want a machine to tinker around with and have it turned off most of the time, you could go for it. Just keep in mind that the server probably ran for several years and some components might be close to their end of life.

1 hour ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Well, as @Electronics Wizardy already pointed out, the system draws an awful lot of power. The Xeon E5405 has a TDP of 80W (times two you get to 160W only for the CPUs). T

The big issue with the chips isn't the tdp, its the idle power use and the fbdimms that use lots of power. The ram and chipset are much more hungry than later generations.

Assume the average power consumption is 50W

These systems idle at about 200-250w, but depens on config

With that said, if you just want a machine to tinker around with and have it turned off most of the time, you could go for it. Just keep in mind that the server probably ran for several years and some components might be close to their end of life.

One other thing to note is that some software isn't supported on these any more, so its almost too old for tinkering, so hyper v in 2016+(i think) and new versions of esxi won't run on these.

Thanks to all who replied - probably better to get something like this and putting something like a ryzen 1600 build into it or something? I think (Based on my limited knowledge of this type of computing) that would be lots?   

CPU: i7-8700k MOBO: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z390 RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz GPU: 1080ti