What's the difference between FreeNAS Plugin: Plex vs PlexPass?

phongle123

This isn't exactly a server question just a I am wondering question so I don't think it belongs inside of Servers. 

What's the difference between Plex Media Server and  Plex Media Server (PlexPass) if you already have a PlexPass? Because when I installed the Plugin only the Plex plugin was available and the PlexPass Plugin did not exist. 

If I am currently using the Plex Media Server Plugin and NOT the Plex Media Server (PlexPass) Plugin and I currently have PlexPass as well. Is there anything that I am missing out on by using the non-PlexPass Plugin?

Thank you.

21 hours ago, phongle123 said:

This isn't exactly a server question just a I am wondering question so I don't think it belongs inside of Servers. 

What's the difference between Plex Media Server and  Plex Media Server (PlexPass) if you already have a PlexPass? Because when I installed the Plugin only the Plex plugin was available and the PlexPass Plugin did not exist. 

If I am currently using the Plex Media Server Plugin and NOT the Plex Media Server (PlexPass) Plugin and I currently have PlexPass as well. Is there anything that I am missing out on by using the non-PlexPass Plugin?

Thank you.

Plex pass gives you Live TV DVR and hardware transcoding I believe. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

There is a whole page dedicated to explaining the difference between free and plexpass.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/202526943-plex-free-vs-paid/

However, in terms of the Freenas plugin, there isn't any real difference with the exception that Plexpass subscribers get access to new updates sooner.  So if a feature that is going to be in the free version is published, Plexpass users will get the update first before it trickles out to the free peeps.

In any case, unless you sign in with a Plexpass subscriber account the "Plexpass" features are disabled.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

@Donut417 @Thirdgen89GTA

I know what plex pass does. I am currently using the non-PlexPass plugin still allows me to use Live TV and Hardware Transcoding. The only different I see is that the PlexPass Plugin gets updates sooner as it is a higher Version Number than the non-PlexPass Plugin. I think that is the only difference.