Using my SSD as a hot-swpable drive on 2 different PCs - will this work?

idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b

Hi!

So I have a work PC and a home PC. Somewhat similar hardware, but not identical! 

Because of the fact that I sometimes lose my workflow when I am moving from the office to my home, I was wondering if I can just take my SSD with me from my office PC, plug it as-is to my home PC, and continue working from home. 

Will this work? 

I recently started thinking about getting a laptop for this need, but carring an SSD is a lot easier. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

I wouldn't. I mean you theoretically could. But you'd of course have to turn your PC off first, I don't think SSDs are hot-swappable by default. Is this your own business? I know most companies would never allow that. I'd worry with the SSD that maybe while walking around with it you trip and fall on it, misplace it, or something out of your control happens to it and now you're liable for damaging company hardware. It seems like a bad idea to me.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

I wouldn't. I mean you theoretically could. But you'd of course have to turn your PC off first, I don't think SSDs are hot-swappable by default. Is this your own business? I know most companies would never allow that. I'd worry with the SSD that maybe while walking around with it you trip and fall on it, misplace it, or something out of your control happens to it and now you're liable for damaging company hardware. It seems like a bad idea to me.

You make good points, no doubt! 

I'd just enable remote access to your work pc...then dial into it from home.  This sounds like a risky proposition considering you could loose or damage the SSD and then life would suck...

3 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I'd just enable remote access to your work pc...then dial into it from home.  This sounds like a risky proposition considering you could loose or damage the SSD and then life would suck...

Thanks. What kind of remote access do you mean? Something like TeamViewer? I really have no clue at this, this is just the one program I heard about. 

4 hours ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

I wouldn't. I mean you theoretically could. But you'd of course have to turn your PC off first, I don't think SSDs are hot-swappable by default.

SATA interface is hotplug/hotswap by design so all SATA drives are hot swappable.

And yes, you can swap drives, why not. Just test it if it's allowed (by your company).

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

SATA interface is hotplug/hotswap by design so all SATA drives are hot swappable.

And yes, you can swap drives, why not. Just test it if it's allowed (by your company).

The more you know