MSI b450 HELP! :(

This community has been nothing but helpful, and after getting all my PC components the worst happens.

I put everything together, following alongside a video just to be extra cautious i do everything right.

my specs are:

Msi b450 tomahawk.

ryzen 5 2600.

750w corsair power supply.

and 2 ddr4 8gb from corsair.

AND MY MOTHERBOARD CATCHES FIRE????

i built it last night, and it gave me a flicker and what I thought was rgb, this morning I found out it was a small fire, so when i tried again with all the components off, just the motherboard and the power supply, it lit up again but with a small fire to the side. I got the motherboard from Best buy, and i got the power supply from a friend brand new. Did i do something wrong? i got the motherboard less than 2 weeks ago, but i didnt apply the insurance, is it too late to return it? can i even return it? and are the rest of my components doomed too since i did initially started the whole thing already assembled?

Im really upset about all this :(

What power supply do you have?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

What power supply do you have?

This is the one :/ unfortunately i think i might have been lied to about it being new if anything

s-l1600.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Oh you have to video this fire thing!!!

You sure the PSU is new?  Motherboard can be returned.

also too afraid to even turn it back on, it wasnt a big fire, it was nearby where the sockets for the ssd drive are, one of the little squares

4 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

This is the one :/ unfortunately i think i might have been lied to about it being new if anything

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

This model was released in 2008 (12 years old!) ,it's ancient,

Probably was sold to you because it was faulty.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

also too afraid to even turn it back on, it wasnt a big fire, it was nearby where the sockets for the ssd drive are, one of the little squares

RMA it, say it's defective and won't boot up.  All you need to say.

You need better friends, if they lied about the PSU.  

Get a new PSU, a good one.  

That's not a friend, that's a reseller.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

This model was released in 2008,it's ancient,

Probably was sold to you because it was faulty.

so you think it destroyed my whole build :,(

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

i will, i see that im still within the 15 days window :( should i attempt getting the same model?

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

That's not a friend, that's a reseller.

yeah also my fault for trusting easily :/ live and learn

1 minute ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

Not sure how you made that huge ass leap from what he said.. he basically just said your friend is shit.  That's all.

RMA the motherboard, get a replacement.  Buy a new PSU from the Tier List.

Try to assemble PC again.

Then let us know what happens.

Just now, NotOnMyComputer said:

It's possible,considering the age of it i wouldn't trust it at all.

RMA The board and the PSU,and hope that they will accept the motherboard.

2 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Not sure how you made that huge ass leap from what he said.. he basically just said your friend is shit.  That's all.

RMA the motherboard, get a replacement.  Buy a new PSU from the Tier List.

Try to assemble PC again.

Then let us know what happens.

i was just asking haha but im just panicky as well.

and I will thank you for the help! it does put me a bit at ease

2 hours ago, Lorant said:

Got it replaced thank you!

Make sure a misplaced board standoff in the case didn't short against the motherboard! I've almost had that happen to me before.

Only time this ever happened to me was ages ago I'm the 90s with an Antec PSU that has a manual voltage switch.

I live in the USA and I stead of having it on 115v it was set to 230v.

Wires on the PSU started smoking IMMEDIATELY lol

This leads me to further believe the PSU in your system I the culprit. Maybe the internal switch inside is broken

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Make sure a misplaced board standoff in the case didn't short against the motherboard! I've almost had that happen to me before.

my pc/case didnt come with standoffs :/

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

Only time this ever happened to me was ages ago I'm the 90s with an Antec PSU that has a manual voltage switch.

I live in the USA and I stead of having it on 115v it was set to 230v.

Wires on the PSU started smoking IMMEDIATELY lol

This leads me to further believe the PSU in your system I the culprit. Maybe the internal switch inside is broken

yeah i am 90% that the PSU is what failed me, im no even gonna re try it, im just gonna get a new one

9 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

my pc/case didnt come with standoffs :/

What?

Did you mount the motherboard directly onto the wall of the case?

Just now, Lorant said:

What?

Did you mount the motherboard directly onto the wall of the case?

thats how the previous one was on... im assuming this is a big no no?

8 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

Huge no.  The standoffs provide non-conductive points of contact.  Putting the motherboard onto the case without them can allo conductive contact in various places it's not meant to, which can cause shorting and worse.

Buy them.  These or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/HanTof-Motherboard-Standoffs-Standoff-Computer/dp/B07MJFL7L7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=U4MNLK7FR9PN&keywords=pc+case+stand+offs&qid=1579029993&sprefix=PC+case+stand%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

Some cases have the standoffs stamped into the case, like little humps in the sheet metal. Is your case like that or was the board just absolutely flat against the motherboard tray? I don't see how it could have been, the rear IO wouldn't have lined up? If the standoffs are part of the case one could be in the wrong spot. Are there burn marks on the back of the board that match with marks on the case?

18 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

Sometimes they don't have actual standoffs but raised nipples that do the same thing

corsair_obsidian_750d_28.jpg

If you didn't use standoffs and they were required, the IO plate wouldn't fit right and you'd notice something was way off

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x