Hi Guys and girls.

Im looking for some feedback on my future setup.

I looking for a unRAID setup. unRAID should be used for media server (Plex, mostly local streams or direct streams), and my personal Windows installation for study and games.

Im not that good to raid controllers, and not that experienced with unRAID. So Im also looking for some help to this. I'm looking at LSI 9200-8i on eBay but I don't know if it will run with unraid without problems.

I currently have a DS1515 + which contains four WD RED disks. That setup will no longer be used and will therefore move the four disks to unRAID. In addition, I want to move my SSD hard drives from current computer to cache disks in unRAID and buy a NVMe disk for my Windows installation.

The hardware so far is:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-E
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER STRIX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB
SCREEN: ASUS 27" Skærm ROG SWIFT PG279Q
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 (1000W)

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750D

HDD/SSD:
SSD #1: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB (My thoughts are that it should be dedicated to Windows)
SSD #2: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Cache drive)
SSD #3: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Cache drive)
HDD #1: WD Red 4TB (To shared folders)
HDD #2: WD Red 4TB (To shared folders)
HDD #3: WD Red 4TB (To shared folders)
HDD #4: WD RED 4TB (Parity)

image.png

Best regards:

Nikolaj Lund Andreasen

1 hour ago, Niluan said:

I'm looking at LSI 9200-8i on eBay but I don't know if it will run with unraid without problems.

The controller works just fine on UnRAID. I believe off memory its just a non retail 9211-8i. Its still a SAS2008 card anyway. 

Just make sure its flashed (or you flash it) with the P20 IT firmware

1 hour ago, Niluan said:

In addition, I want to move my SSD hard drives from current computer to cache disks in unRAID

You don't necessarily need cache, it's only a write cache; it gives you no performance benefit for reading, but If you have the drives spare then no harm. 

1 hour ago, Niluan said:

and buy a NVMe disk for my Windows installation.

You'll want to pass through the NVMe controller for the best performance from the drive, rather than using the VirtIO controller. 

SpaceInvader One has a good video on the work around to make this happen

1 hour ago, Niluan said:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-E
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER STRIX

With AMD you'll need to enable the advanced IOMMU settings in your BIOS. It should be under CPU Configuration and something called AMD CBS, depending on your BIOS

That will allow you to pass through the Nvidia GPU. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Thanks for the reply Jarsky! :)

The controller works just fine on UnRAID. I believe off memory its just a non retail 9211-8i. Its still a SAS2008 card anyway. 

Just make sure its flashed (or you flash it) with the P20 IT firmware

Thank you for information, I've looked at the following: eBay Link    -    It should fine for my needs, right? :)

What type of cable should i use?

You don't necessarily need cache, it's only a write cache; it gives you no performance benefit for reading, but If you have the drives spare then no harm. 

If it does not provide any performance benefits, what could be their purpose? Just part of shared folders?

You'll want to pass through the NVMe controller for the best performance from the drive, rather than using the VirtIO controller. SpaceInvader One has a good video on the work around to make this happen

Thanks, I have been watching some of SpaceInvader's videos, but I haven't seen the one you link to. I had definitely overlooked that upon installation. Are there other videos you could recommend? :D

What do you think about the hardware, it is alright for my use case? Thinking about give my Windows VM for gaming 8 of the cores. :)

Best regards:

Nikolaj Lund Andreasen

Unraid cache drive can usually also be used for a place for dockers and VMs to store non media data if you want that (for example temporary files or files for the dockers itself or whatever), that is usually not much, but the HDDs will be used less.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Niluan said:

Thank you for information, I've looked at the following: eBay Link    -    It should fine for my needs, right? :)

If it does not provide any performance benefits, what could be their purpose? Just part of shared folders?

Thanks, I have been watching some of SpaceInvader's videos, but I haven't seen the one you link to. I had definitely overlooked that upon installation. Are there other videos you could recommend? :D

What do you think about the hardware, it is alright for my use case? Thinking about give my Windows VM for gaming 8 of the cores. :)

Depending on your setup the cache provides a fast (relatively speaking) place to dump files then on a pre-defined schedule usually at night it can upload to your spinners, I keep my appdata and docker files there you can also leverage a bit of performance by using the unassigned device plugin with some ssd's if that's something that is needed

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

18 hours ago, Niluan said:

Yup that card will work just fine. 

For connecting direct to hdd's you want SFF8087 to SATA breakout cables

There could be performance benefits for writing if you have more than gigabit, but typically hdd's today can do the ~110MB/s of synchronous writing to saturate gigabit. 

I havent watched too many videos, but if you look through his stuff hes one of the better for UnRAID videos.

Hardware should be fine, my server is similar with an ASRock X570 Taichi, 3950x & RTX2080Super. 

Nvidia can be a bit funny about being passed through to a VM when its the only GPU, I don't know too much of how to do that

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

14 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Depending on your setup the cache provides a fast (relatively speaking) place to dump files then on a pre-defined schedule usually at night it can upload to your spinners, I keep my appdata and docker files there you can also leverage a bit of performance by using the unassigned device plugin with some ssd's if that's something that is needed

Thanks for the feedback! :)
 - My plan is to run some Docker containers and a VM with Ubuntu with OpenVPN Client, to pass data from Docker containers through. So locate appdata, VMs and Docker on them. So could boost them with it SSD's. :)

Best regards:

Nikolaj Lund Andreasen

Okay, thanks! :)

There could be performance benefits for writing if you have more than gigabit, but typically hdd's today can do the ~110MB/s of synchronous writing to saturate gigabit. 

Cool. I'm moving into a new apartment soon. There I will get 1000/500 Fiber connection but i don't know if there is ethernet in the rooms so if I have to run on WiFi, so the HDD speed will not be where the bottleneck. :)

I havent watched too many videos, but if you look through his stuff hes one of the better for UnRAID videos.

Okay, I have to go through his library! :)

Hardware should be fine, my server is similar with an ASRock X570 Taichi, 3950x & RTX2080Super. 

Nvidia can be a bit funny about being passed through to a VM when its the only GPU, I don't know too much of how to do that

Spaceinvader's latest new video is about advanced GPU passthrough, so hope it doesn't tease.

I'm thinking about giving follow cores:
Windows installation (Gaming/Study): 6 Cores

Plex: 4 Cores

unRAID and Docker: 1 Core (Shared?)

Ubuntu OpenVPN Client: 1 Core

it should be allrigth to run the latest game titles, and running Plex right? :)

Best regards:

Nikolaj Lund Andreasen

On 1/15/2020 at 5:48 AM, Jarsky said:

Yup that card will work just fine. 

Hey,

I have the same board (X570 Taichi) but cannot get anything to pass through. Just wondering what BIOS settings you have and also what version BIOS?

Cheers

13 hours ago, jazzy192 said:

Hey,

I have the same board (X570 Taichi) but cannot get anything to pass through. Just wondering what BIOS settings you have and also what version BIOS?

Cheers

I have the latest version P2.70 but it was working fine before that. 

Make sure that SVM is enabled (which is virtualisation), then enable IOMMU in

Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options. Set IOMMU to Enabled. 

Also make sure that Enable AER Cap, and ACS Enable is set to Auto. 

Spoiler

Spoiler