Windows 7 or 8.1

IWolfieI

I'm getting a laptop this or next month and I'm not sure which one to get, I built my current rig and decided not to get it because I was comfortable with 7, but is windows 8.1 any good in comparason? It's be great to here some opinions from those who have switched from 7 to 8.

Edit: Also which would be better 770m or 8970m?

Windows 8.1 is better. Whether you like it or not depends on your preference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8.1 and get startisback

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I find that the Start Screen is a superior choice to the start menu in terms of aesthetics, functionality and speed. It's more efficient and pleasing to use. I also find that the performance improvements over Windows 7 are quite noticeable and the SSD optimisations are lovely.

:)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

So would it be worth upgrading my desktop to 8.1 too?

If you already have Win7 on your desktop I wouldn't upgrade unless you could get a key for $20.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

If you already have Win7 on your desktop I wouldn't upgrade unless you could get a key for $20.

Agreed.

The improvements of Windows 8.1 are quite nice, but not necessarily worth the price tag at the moment. But if you happen to be in a position to obtain a key for a reasonable sum of money, go for it! :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I've only used windows 8 with the metro UI so I personally would go 7 but if start is back really makes it better then I don't see any reason not to go with 8.1.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

8.1 no contest. Upgrading from 7 isn't worth it, but if you're buying, then forget 7.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   8.1   

but no really, win 8 is around 45% faster just using it and its around 125% faster boot, i have a 7200rmp 1Tb WD blue drive and i get to the login screen in around 13 seconds, after logging in it take around 8 second to get to the desktop and load every icon xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Get Windows 8.1 it works fine.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

If you have windows 7 you're probably fine without upgrading. That said, if you can find a cheap license or are building a new system, there's no real reason to not go with 8.1. It's faster and has some nice new features, and doesn't offer any real cons, especially with startisback or start8 or one of the many other start menu replacements. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

I've only used windows 8 with the metro UI so I personally would go 7 but if start is back really makes it better then I don't see any reason not to go with 8.1.

I have windows 8 since launch and never used metro...

Get Windows 8.1 it works fine.

To the prison Shana...

To the prison Shana...

:( But I like it.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Windows 8.1

Here is why I like Windows 8.1 on a mobile device

-> The Start Screen makes jumping to games, and programs really easy with a touchpad and touch screen. Most touchpad have poor precision handling, but easy to move across the screen. The Start Screen, well organized, is the best for this

-> SkyDrive (soon OneDrive) integration. Sync'ing your files between your system is just awesome.

-> Windows 8.x syncs your wireless password and settings, Windows settings, Windows 8 Apps (Modern UI Apps), and preferences between your Windows 8 machine (customizable). When comes re-installing, it's truly awesome when you are ready to go where your settings and wireless passwords and configuration are just sync, and off you go.

-> Super fast boot with 4-6 sec from power button to desktop (with SSD, UEFI and GOP ready graphic card). Windows 8 gets you ready to start your session in s snap

-> Fast and secure with SecureBoot, blocking malware and root kits from taking control of your system by making itself an OS, and then boot Windows, and be able to render your anti-virus and any security software 100% useless.

-> Support for Microsoft Precision touchpad. Microsoft got sick and tired of manufacture using abysmal touchpads, and build an entire infrastructure to manage the touchpad control with the OS for a smoother and better experience, Not all touchpad support Microsoft Precision touchpad. Only the decent and good ones.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/touchpad

Be sure that your laptop has a Precision Touchpad compatible touchpad.

-> Improved search

-> XBox Music free streaming service (over 20 million+ songs and growing) Paid subscription give you unlimited music download and streaming without ads playable on all devices with XBox Music (Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, iOS and Android, as for Zune MP3 player, WIndows XP, Vista and 7, and Windows Phone 7, you can use the Zune desktop software.

-> Improved high-DPI scaling great for high density screen. Not great, but it's something until software maker gets with the time and make their software high-DPI friendly

-> Windows Touch and Ink API allowing software to take full advantage with ease multi-touch display, and digitize pen with pressure sensitivity, eraser, and extra pen buttons. (This is more for convertible devices like the Surface Pro 2). So far, Civilization 5 support multi-touch control, and I find it really fun to play a AAA title game with touch. Now if only Blizzard can make StarCraft 2 be touch friendly it would be great. But I guess it's a question of time.

-> Improved multi-display support

-> File History (allows you to go back in time on a file or folder, by doing backups every 10min, 30min, 1h, well you get the idea. No performance drop when setting it even down to 10min)

and more.

Windows 8.1 is a very nice OS, and although I have a fairly powerful system, the boot time difference is extremely noticeable. Plus I personally believe the desktop aesthetics are so much smoother than windows 7, and right clicking on the new start bar gives you pretty much everything you need.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder