Computer turns on then when I run a game it shuts off

ProgramZer0
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
Just now, ProgramZer0 said:

Ok thanks and no not right now 

Send it back.

Always buy new PSUs. It's worth it.

If you have a budget, ask around. Someone will suggest a good PSU that fits your wattage requirements within your price range.

Also, you could probably get 550w to 650w for your system, the 750w is a bit overkill.

My specks:

XFX AMD RX 590 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

Corsair 750 watt psu (it was bought used said it was good condition)

So the problem I'm having is I think with the psu, the computer powers on ok then I load up a game then the computer does instantly, as I said before the psu is used so it could have been a bad psu handed down but idk. I could use a professional opinion before i refund it and get a new one. Thanks.

How do your temps look before the PC shuts down?

PSU could be shutting down as it picks up as well, i'd def point towards that.

You could try updating or reinstalling your display drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller. Although, being that it's such a sudden crash, you might be right that it's the PSU. Try playing with the drivers and seeing that everything is plugged in properly.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Just now, leo1798 said:

You could try updating or reinstalling your display drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller. Although, being that it's such a sudden crash, you might be right that it's the PSU. Try playing with the drivers and seeing that everything is plugged in properly.

Yea already reinstalled the drivers with ddu and did the whole clean install 

1 minute ago, devezour said:

How do your temps look before the PC shuts down?

PSU could be shutting down at load though.

Well the psu isnt very hot its warm but not hot the fan also isnt running at all but its corsair so it wont run till it hits 40% cap, the gpu temp when it shut down was about 70 when I was benchmarking and I didn't check the cpu.

Do you get an error screen when it crashes or is it just a hard shutdown?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Well the psu isnt very hot its warm but not hot the fan also isnt running at all but its corsair so it wont run till it hits 40% cap, the gpu temp when it shut down was about 70 when I was benchmarking and I didn't check the cpu.

Which Corsair PSU is this?  There's only about a dozen different models.

10 minutes ago, ProgramZer0 said:

So the problem I'm having is I think with the psu, the computer powers on ok then I load up a game then the computer does instantly

Computer does instantly, what?

Is it shutting down completely or rebooting?

If it's shutting down completely, what does it take for it to power up again?  Can you just press the power button on the case to get it to come back up or do you have to power cycle the PSU with the switch on the back?

2 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

Do you get an error screen when it crashes or is it just a hard shutdown?

No error screen

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Computer does instantly, what?

Is it shutting down completely or rebooting?

If it's shutting down completely, what does it take for it to power up again?  Can you just press the power button on the case to get it to come back up or do you have to power cycle the PSU with the switch on the back?

Sorry I'm not the best at English it shuts down instantly no reboot no error screen either. And when it turns off I can just power it on again by pushing the power button 

Sorry I'm not the best at English it shuts down instantly no reboot no error screen either. And when it turns off I can just power it on again by pushing the power button 

Ok.  Then it's not the PSU.

The PSU would "latch off" if there was an issue with it being overloaded, overheated, etc. which would require you to actually flip off the PSU and then turn it back on again to get the PC to power back up.

Sounds like the CPU or GPU or something else is overheating.

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Which Corsair PSU is this?  There's only about a dozen different models.

Honestly I dont know other than what it says on the psu 

Corsair RM750x psu

15788020078078312324094278991653.jpg

15788020260252775090510329991900.jpg

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  Then it's not the PSU.

The PSU would "latch off" if there was an issue with it being overloaded, overheated, etc. which would require you to actually flip off the PSU and then turn it back on again to get the PC to power back up.

Sounds like the CPU or GPU or something else is overheating.

Well the gpu had a temp of 70 when it turned off so I doubt it's that and the cpu doesn't feel hot

You could try re-applying thermal paste on your CPU because your GPU seems fine. Although even with most overheating you should still get an error message or the processor should throttle.

3 minutes ago, ProgramZer0 said:

Honestly I dont know other than what it says on the psu 

Corsair RM750x psu

And THAT is what it is.  You never said before it was an RM750x.  You just said it was a "Corsair 750W".

2 minutes ago, ProgramZer0 said:

Well the gpu had a temp of 70 when it turned off so I doubt it's that and the cpu doesn't feel hot

"Feeling hot" tells you nothing.  You don't know how hot the CPU is?

Is this your first time building a PC?

2 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

You could try re-applying thermal paste on your CPU because your GPU seems fine. Although even with most overheating you should still get an error message or the processor should throttle.

Ok I'll try that, I should note that the entire computer including the fans had no power at the exact same time so it was a hard shutoff

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

And THAT is what it is.  You never said before it was an RM750x.  You just said it was a "Corsair 750W".

"Feeling hot" tells you nothing.  You don't know how hot the CPU is?

Is this your first time building a PC?

No about 4th can I install a piece of software to tell me I can check it in the bios but not when running games right?

The processor is designed to throttle at high temps (95c)

You can use Aida64 for temp monitoring.

I'd try a different PSU. Only way to find out if the used PSU is any good. 

Do you have another PSU laying around you could try?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

The processor is designed to throttle at high temps (95c)

You can use Aida64 for temp monitoring.

I'd try a different PSU. Only way to find out if the used PSU is any good. 

Do you have another PSU laying around you could try?

Send it back.

If you have a budget, ask around. Someone will suggest a good PSU that fits your wattage requirements within your price range.

Also, you could probably get 550w to 650w for your system, the 750w is a bit overkill.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Send it back.

Ok that's what I figured but my brother was looking for something a little cheaper and ok cool good to know

It's not the PSU.  Not if it's turning off and you can turn it back on just hitting the button on the front of the case.

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's not the PSU.  Not if it's turning off and you can turn it back on just hitting the button on the front of the case.

I think your right just measured it and the cpu read 95c ish before it shutoff

1 minute ago, ProgramZer0 said:

I think your right just measured it and the cpu read 95c ish before it shutoff

And everything else was around 50c

For anybody else having this problem I put in my other PSU and it worked so im pretty positive that it was the PSU thanks for the help everyone!

12 hours ago, ProgramZer0 said:

For anybody else having this problem I put in my other PSU and it worked so im pretty positive that it was the PSU thanks for the help everyone!

my PC auto restarts when i launch the game but does not shut down like you. 

just got new gpu and using old 650w psu . i think my gpu not getting full power

i order new 750 w psu . i dont know why this is happening  . although 650w psu is recommended for gpu .