Can my router bottleneck my download speed?

I know that sounds like an odd question, so let me explain. In my apartment, an average wifi ookla test will get around 20-25 Mbps download. When I download on that same network with a wired connection (50 feet of cable) I only average around maybe 4 Mbps peak. I did a test at my parents house and they have a combo modem and router from Xfinity and I easily break 10 Mbps download on Ethernet. I know there are a few variables here like service provider and machines on the network but let's assume my device is the only device on the network. What could I do to up my download speed as in utilize my bandwidth instead of using but a part of it.

Thanks

-nate

Check the connection link speed of the nic. What nic do you have? Are the drivers up to date? What router? 

8 hours ago, Yourmomismyboyfriend said:

I know that sounds like an odd question, so let me explain. In my apartment, an average wifi ookla test will get around 20-25 Mbps download. When I download on that same network with a wired connection (50 feet of cable) I only average around maybe 4 Mbps peak. I did a test at my parents house and they have a combo modem and router from Xfinity and I easily break 10 Mbps download on Ethernet. I know there are a few variables here like service provider and machines on the network but let's assume my device is the only device on the network. What could I do to up my download speed as in utilize my bandwidth instead of using but a part of it.

Thanks

-nate

Download through what? Steam client? Browser? Something else?

Steam and most browsers display in Megabytes (abbreviation of MB, note the large B) while download speed from your ISP is in sold/marketed/stated in Megabits (Mb). 1MB = 8Mb.

I ask because a ton of people come here confusing the units and they are fully saturating their connection without realizing it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Check the connection link speed of the nic. What nic do you have? Are the drivers up to date? What router? 

What in the hell does nic mean

5 hours ago, Yourmomismyboyfriend said:

What in the hell does nic mean

Network Interface Card

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7