How much ram can a lenovo 510s-23isu handle? like 32 gb?

NoobBoi

This one sounded easy enough to look up.  Turns out it’s not.

It’s an older ddr3 AIO machine, and there’s surprisingly little data on it online.  Lenovo won’t even say what it had.  Depends on how many slots it has and whether any of the ram is soldered.  AIO desktops aren’t basically large old fashioned laptops done up as desktops.  It will probably use laptop memory even.  The only configuration I saw was 8gb. No ram speed given.  It’s not impossible that’s all you can put into it.  Laptops are annoying like that.

If there’s one soldered slot and one non soldered slot you’ll be looking at another 8gb stick only so 16gb. If there are two slots more might be possible. Hard to know without data though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This one sounded easy enough to look up.  Turns out it’s not.

It’s an older ddr3 AIO machine, and there’s surprisingly little data on it online.  Lenovo won’t even say what it had.  Depends on how many slots it has and whether any of the ram is soldered.  AIO desktops aren’t basically large old fashioned laptops done up as desktops.  It will probably use laptop memory even.  The only configuration I saw was 8gb. No ram speed given.  It’s not impossible that’s all you can put into it.  Laptops are annoying like that.

If there’s one soldered slot and one non soldered slot you’ll be looking at another 8gb stick only so 16gb. If there are two slots more might be possible. Hard to know without data though.

It uses an ddr4 ram.

To make a very long story short, a solid way to find out exactly what and how much ram a system needs is to go to the official Crucial website, and "scan computer" . It will tell you how many dimms are available, and: "How much ram can a lenovo 510s-23isu handle? like 32 gb?

2 minutes ago, some.guy.in.florida said:

To make a very long story short, a solid way to find out exactly what and how much ram a system needs is to go to the official Crucial website, and "scan computer" . It will tell you how many dimms are available, and: "How much ram can a lenovo 510s-23isu handle? like 32 gb?

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

It uses an ddr4 ram.

Then it’s not the one I was looking at.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

I still need more info.

about what?

if you need more general info about the system you are physically using, go to belarc advisor. 

It will surely overwhelm you with "all kinds" of useful information about said system. 

Just now, some.guy.in.florida said:

if you need more general info about the system you are physically using, go to belarc advisor. 

It will surely overwhelm you with "all kinds" of useful information about said system. 

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Yep.  That’s the one I was looking at. Chip was launched in 2015, making it about the right time for ddr3.   “U” means laptop chip.  If Newegg even sold it (which it appears they never did) I might be able to get data.  They didn’t though.  If you’ve got it in hand you can do like they do with puppies: turn it over and look.  Or you can use that site @some.guy.in.florida Mentioned.  If someone is telling you this is a brand new computer they’re lying.  It’s at best new old stock.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  That’s the one I was looking at. Chip was launched in 2015, making it about the right time for ddr3.   “U” means laptop chip.  If Newegg even sold it (which it appears they never did) I might be able to get data.  They didn’t though.  If you’ve got it in hand you can do like they do with puppies: turn it over and look.  Or you can use that site @some.guy.in.florida Mentioned.  If someone is telling you this is a brand new computer they’re lying.  It’s at best new old stock.

i5 6200u cpu info 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/36796/IntelR-CoreTM-i5-6200U-CPU---230GHz#Specifications

9 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

The topic and general info on the PC.

There is very little general info on the PC available.  It’s touch screen and maybe 4 years old.  It’s basically laptop shaped like a desktop with a great big screen.  Laptops are famous for limited upgradability.  Lenovo is the place that should have the data but apparently they purged it which is quite obnoxious of them.

2 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Yep that’s it “launch date Q3 2015” right before ddr4 came out.  The processor isn’t the machine.  The CPU itself will take first gen ddr4 which wasn’t quite out yet.  Ddr4 went up to 16gb (though now it goes up to 32)

If you’ve got soldered in memory it’s going to be ddr3

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep that’s it “launch date Q3 2015” right before ddr4 came out.  The processor isn’t the machine.  The CPU itself will take first gen ddr4 which wasn’t quite out yet.  Ddr4 went up to 16gb (though now it goes up to 32)

Release date ≈ Q4 2015.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Also it's not soldered

18 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Release date ≈ Q4 2015.

You’ve got userbenchmark, I’m using arkintel.  For all I know their corporate quarters start at different dates.

17 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Also it's not soldered

This is good.  Means you’ve got a better shot.  Ddr3 and ddr4 use different slot types. It will fit one OR the other.  Not both.  If you can see the slots, where the key is positioned can tell you if it’s ddr3 or ddr4.  Ddr3 is probably more likely but if it’s ddr4 the possibility of 32gig May exist.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:34 AM, Selle said:

It uses DDR4 SO-DIMM, but only one slot. 16GB max

could I try doing 32 gb