Game Dev questions

TL;DR- I'm trying to make a top down strategy game with management that look like the history vids you see on YT. Want to know if its possible or easy, where to dev, etc

Hey guys,

I was recently wondering what would be a good engine to make a top down real time strategy game.

I'm currently just bringing up ideas and seeing how I can apply them. 

I have some ideas on how I want the game to look and function

I want to design a game who's battles are similar to Winterfalling

https://rarykos.itch.io/winter-falling

while having some sort of management element like Ultimate General: CW

https://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/Ultimate_General_Civil_War/

I was also wondering if "push physics" ( if thats what you call it would be possible too, like where you see two units clearly sturggle against one another, as one gains ground, and the other looses it. 

Here is a good video on what my dream looks like: Baz Battles video (skip to 9:00)

Thanks guys and gals for your help in advance.

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

4 minutes ago, Azade12 said:

Just pick any 2D game engine and start drafting the underlying mechanics and math, you can easily write out a text based version if you know a bit of programming.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Just pick any 2D game engine and start drafting the underlying mechanics and math, you can easily write out a text based version if you know a bit of programming.

Would game maker be a good engine? I've seen it used before, but it seems pretty basic, and I'm concerned that it'll be pretty clunky. Maybe unity 2D? Just testing the water.

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

1 minute ago, Azade12 said:

Would game maker be a good engine? I've seen it used before, but it seems pretty basic, and I'm concerned that it'll be pretty clunky. Maybe unity 2D? Just testing the water.

Unity is a lot more popular and versatile I think.There's 2D and 3D versions

But making the visual part is almost trivial compared to the actual gameplay mechanics. Since it's just very simple animations.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Is it possible? Of course. Is it easy? Depends, do you have any idea on how to program a game?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Is it possible? Of course. Is it easy? Depends, do you have any idea on how to program a game?

I've taken a class in HS, and will be taking one soon in College. I won't expect it to be out soon, i'm just wondering any good places to start. I don't really want to start on something that I will have to transfer into something else because of limitations. 

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

Just now, Azade12 said:

I've taken a class in HS, and will be taking one soon in College. I won't expect it to be out soon, i'm just wondering any good places to start. I don't really want to start on something that I will have to transfer into something else because of limitations. 

Thanks for your help!

Since you're a beginner I would wait until you have the basics down, a complex game like this isn't a small project and you'd probably be in way over your head if you started right now. As for the engine, unity is fine, in fact most engines will be just fine since the graphics and animations you mentioned are fairly basic.

9 minutes ago, Azade12 said:

game maker

Unless you want a lot of headaches, avoid it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Since you're a beginner I would wait until you have the basics down, a complex game like this isn't a small project and you'd probably be in way over your head if you started right now. As for the engine, unity is fine, in fact most engines will be just fine since the graphics and animations you mentioned are fairly basic.

Unless you want a lot of headaches, avoid it.

Ok, thanks. I'll prob just make a test build to see how units interact with eachother before branching out. Looks like it might take a while to get there too...

Based on 1-10, how difficult would you say it is to program field battle AI? Doesn't need to be amazing, at least knows somewhat whats going on

Thanks

RYZEN 5800X

ASUS B550M (WIFI)

GTX 1060 6G

3200 MHZ RAM

RM650 PSU

256G SATA SSD

1TB NVM.E SSD

3TB 5400 WD HDD

Just now, Azade12 said:

Based on 1-10, how difficult would you say it is to program field battle AI? Doesn't need to be amazing, at least knows somewhat whats going on

Again depends on what you want it to do, for a basic AI it's not that hard (maybe a 4-5 if I had to grade it... but obviously it depends on the programmer's experience) but it takes time and some insight in game design.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*