Phone for my mom

With the absolutely insane amount of phones out today I thought I would recruit you all for some help. I'm looking for a decent phone for my mom. Her current phone is a Huawei P20 Lite I think? It's a bit sh*t and doesn't want to connect to Android Auto in her Kia so she's getting frustrated. She's almost 60 which isn't really that old but just old dog new tricks so something with as simple a UI and settings as possible will be a bonus, she doesn't care about Android's infinite customizability. 

Storage size isn't a huge issue either as she doesn't have many apps or photos. She wants wireless charging because she has that in her Kia as well and wants to use it.

I would like to be on the budget end of the spectrum but I'd probably be able to get into the £600-700 range if it was justified. She isn't majorly swayed by how a phone looks but if it comes with a sparkly blue back (like her Huawei does) or something similar it'll just make her happy. I'm also trying to stick the major brands as well (Samsung, Google, LG, OnePlus etc.) not Chinese stuff like Huawei. 

Any help would be amazing! Thanks!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Possibly an older iPhone6/7? I recently helped my nan, 70+, setup her new phone my parents got her for christmas, iPhone 6, its taken time for her to adjust but shes finding it easier by the day and slowly understanding how to use it properly. 

But to be honest, I'd recommend any older version of a smartphone as they arent as complicated as some of the newer ones.

1 minute ago, Ecchi said:

Possibly an older iPhone6/7? I recently helped my nan, 70+, setup her new phone my parents got her for christmas, iPhone 6, its taken time for her to adjust but shes finding it easier by the day and slowly understanding how to use it properly. 

But to be honest, I'd recommend any older version of a smartphone as they arent as complicated as some of the newer ones.

I've suggested iPhones and she's really not a fan for whatever reason. An older model seems like a great idea especially on the cost side of things thanks

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

I was just searching for my mom as well and decided on a Pixel 3a because it's not too big and should have pretty much the best software support. 

Other choice was the Galaxy S10e but I couldnt find a good deal. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

maybe an older model oneplus?
I got my sister a 1+ 5t recently and she is really happy with it. It will also get Software updates for at least another year. If you get it used, it should be pretty cheap

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

She wants wireless charging because she has that in her Kia as well and wants to use it.

oh sh*t i didn't read that, so 1+ is out

Might be a bit late but the base iPhone XR is on the top end of your budget or an iPhone 8 is I think maybe under budget?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:21 AM, Lord Vile said:

Might be a bit late but the base iPhone XR

at that size you can see pixels, i would suggest getting something with a 1080p display. 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:47 AM, FloRolf said:

I was just searching for my mom as well and decided on a Pixel 3a because it's not too big and should have pretty much the best software support. 

Other choice was the Galaxy S10e but I couldnt find a good deal. 

I got my severely electronically handicapped dad a pixel 3a to replace the Nexus 5 that he broke (which I also gave him). If he can figure out how to use it then literally anyone can. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:59 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

at that size you can see pixels, i would suggest getting something with a 1080p display. 

If you decided to press your nose to the glass maybe. Otherwise at normal usage distance (around 10-12”) you cannot. More resolution is a drain on battery and phones with 1440 and 4K screens are the very definition of pointless because anyone with any sense will drop them to 1080 to save battery. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

If you decided to press your nose to the glass maybe.

We are talking about phones that you hold close to your face. 

More resolution is a drain on battery and phones with 1440 and 4K screens are the very definition of pointless because anyone with any sense will drop them to 1080 to save battery. 

yeah, battery takes a hit a bit but it's worth it in the end, i have really good eyes and use my phone to read a lot of text, IMO the 11 pro or 10 is a much better phone than the xr or 11 due to dat OLED display. 

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

We are talking about phones that you hold close to your face. 

yeah, battery takes a hit a bit but it's worth it in the end, i have really good eyes and use my phone to read a lot of text, IMO the 11 pro or 10 is a much better phone than the xr or 11 due to dat OLED display. 

Yes normal distance is 10-12” away

doesnt matter how good you’re eyes are you PHYSICALLY CANNOT SEE PIXELS. 

Yes normal distance is 10-12” away

Not everyone does this and yes you can especially if your looking at text, i am glad you like your XR but the truth is display is a compromise for the price, XR is a mid range phone.

doesnt matter how good you’re eyes are you PHYSICALLY CANNOT SEE PIXELS. 

also we don't have excuses to put shit display on expensive phones in 2019 

https://mostly-tech.com/2013/11/08/debunking-the-retina-display-myth/

https://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Not everyone does this and yes you can especially if your looking at text, i am glad you like your XR but the truth is display is a compromise for the price, XR is a mid range phone.

also we don't have excuses to put shit display on expensive phones in 2019 

https://mostly-tech.com/2013/11/08/debunking-the-retina-display-myth/

https://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

That’s the general viewing distance, hold your phone where you normally would and it will be at least 10” away from tour face and it doesn’t matter text or not when you can’t distinguish individual pixels. If it meets the “retina threshold it could be 1080p or 30K you wouldn’t be able to perceive a difference. 

The only upgrade from a 11 or XR display to a XS or 11 pro is OLED which offers HDR, deeper blacks etc but comes with its own trade offs. Also confused as to the “mid range” phone label you’re trying to slap on it, the A12 is still better than what Qualcomm is putting out and the camera is better than everything but the flagships from google and Co, FaceID is only available on iphones, glass and metal build, wireless charging, water resistance, all day battery. How is that exactly midrange? You’re literally only missing an extra camera from the XS (which no one really uses), 3D Touch which has been killed and the OLED screen which can be a blessing in terms of battery life and burn in.