Looking For PSU Advice

BarackOBatman
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

You could use the EVGA 550W G2... or if you prefer buying something brand new then go with the RM650x (2018) as it's the best PSU of the bunch you've mentioned.

I have been running my RTX 2080 ti + Delidded 8700k overclocked on air cooling using a Corsair CX650-M (2015 Model.)

I also have a UPS if that makes you feel any better.

I am in the process of swapping to a new case and I decided maybe it is time to swap to a better quality PSU.

I have in my possesion, the CX650-M, and also a EVGA 550 G2.

What would you guys reccomend, I can use one of these or I can stop at Microcenter and get

- Seasonic Focus Gold 650 for $100 https://www.microcenter.com/product/501724/seasonic-usa-focus-gold-650-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

- Corsair RMx 650 for $104 on newegg https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm650x-2018-cp-9020178-na-650w/p/N82E16817139232?Item=N82E16817139232

- 2019 RM650 for $105 https://www.microcenter.com/product/611308/corsair-rm650-650-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

- Seasonic Focus Plus for $110 https://www.microcenter.com/product/513600/seasonic-usa-focus-plus-650-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

- EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650 for $110 https://www.microcenter.com/product/503517/evga-supernova-650-g-650-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-modular-power-supply

I also get 5% off any of the microcenter ones.

So what would you guys do? Do i need even more watts than this? I feel like the answer is obvious,get the 2019 RM650 and I should never let the CX650-M anywhere near my 2080 ti again.

Mostly looking to validate my thinking and justify spending money on another PSU when i already have a few.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

You could use the EVGA 550W G2... or if you prefer buying something brand new then go with the RM650x (2018) as it's the best PSU of the bunch you've mentioned.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I don't particularly need something brand new. I think i'll use the 550 G2 for now then and I'll keep an eye for deal on something better.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

3 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

I don't particularly need something brand new. I think i'll use the 550 G2 for now then and I'll keep an eye for deal on something better.

I mean the EVGA G2 is significantly better/safer than the old CX-M so you should have been using it already xD'

But yeah the RMx is a great pick, careful not to get yourself fooled by the RM (2019) as it is NOTHING close to the RMx (2018)... it is a much stripped down version cheaper in everything inside... in fact you'd be better off even with the TX-M (2017) than it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I mean the EVGA G2 is significantly better/safer than the old CX-M so you should have been using it already xD'

But yeah the RMx is a great pick, careful not to get yourself fooled by the RM (2019) as it is NOTHING close to the RMx (2018)... it is a much stripped down version cheaper in everything inside of it... in fact you'd be better off even with the TX-M (2017) than it.

Using the EVGA G2 was my original plan but then I figured maybe it wasn't enough watts. I don't recall my system using over 400 watts though on my wattmeter/UPS so i'll probably be fine. I only recently came into possession of the EVGA G2, so it's not like I was intentionally using the crappier of the two PSUs for my personal rig for the past two years.

Thanks for the tip on the RM 2019. I was absolutely fooled. I would have never guessed it would be inferior to the RMx (2018) or even the TX-M. Funny enough, I also had a TX550-M though I just sold it like 2 weeks ago.

(Edit: The RM 2019 is even on the same tier in the PSU tier list so I assumed if anything it would be superior)

Anyhow, you rock. Thanks!