3 ways to build NAS server from scrap parts.

Sorry for simplified English.

Now it is time, I need to build my personal NAS server. But I do not wanted spend any rubles on this build, because I have enough scrap parts.

So there is tree ways to approach my goal.

•  The fast and simple solution. Raspberry Pi B3+ (not exactly a scrap)

Advantages: good software, fast build, power efficient, rational.

Disadvantages: USB 2.0 Power limitations to HDD, in best scenario you can connect maximum 1 HDD, other HDD needs power supply

•   The fast and simple solution 2. Old netbook ASUS 1015BX

Advantages: more good software fo x86 architecture, fast build, almost power efficient, almost rational.

Disadvantages: 2GB of ram, USB 2.0, only 2 HDD maximum, One in direct SATA connection to motherboard, and another via USB, need to build case, I only have single motherboard.

•  Not fast, not rational way. Build NAS from 775 socket  parts.

Advantages: no limitations in software, 4 SATA HDD. I can use quad core CPU or simple Celeron.

Disadvantages: Not power efficient, not silent, not cool.

I will try all of these. And will tell about them in this post. Which one build you wanna see first, or maybe you have some advices for me?

teaser photo: "the scrap parts" silent 1015bx notebook.

photo_2019-08-03_10-11-50.thumb.jpg.5c98d18c056b0c750cf61793c16b6aea.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lenovich said:

So there is tree ways to approach my goal.

•  The fast and simple solution. Raspberry Pi B3+ (not exactly a scrap)

Advantages: good software, fast build, power efficient, rational.

Disadvantages: USB 2.0 Power limitations to HDD, in best scenario you can connect maximum 1 HDD, other HDD needs power supply

You forgot that the ethernet-port is also a USB-device internally, so any time it's reading/writing to/from any connected HDD, ethernet-speeds drop and vice versa, since they only have 480Mbps theoretical bandwidth in total and they'll have to share that. You'd actually get better speeds over 5GHz 802.11AC, if the Pi was within range, than over Ethernet.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You forgot that the ethernet-port is also a USB-device internally, so any time it's reading/writing to/from any connected HDD, ethernet-speeds drop and vice versa, since they only have 480Mbps theoretical bandwidth in total and they'll have to share that. You'd actually get better speeds over 5GHz 802.11AC, if the Pi was within range, than over Ethernet.

Never know that, thank you. So there is a new advantage, I can place Raspi in any corner or home. ?

50 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I recommend looking into Pi 4. Ethernet is wired separately, it has 1Gbps port plus it has two USB 3 ports.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, leadeater said:

The laptop

Done ?

Question , continue this post, like add more photos to this post, or make new post? 

Having personally gone down the Socket 775 parts route, it may seem a bit boring (and I agree that it's not very energy efficient), but for anything with more than like 2 HDDs it's probably still the most sensible way of building a NAS as it won't bottleneck a gigabit network connection unlike the other two solutions.

That being said, the netbook solution with some sort of custom case is certainly the coolest one because I don't think many people have done that before.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4