First time having a 144Hz monitor, what should I try out?

CGurrell

Hey guys, 

Bought myself a new monitor over the weekend. Picked up an Acer XV272UP, which seems to tick all the boxes (1440p, 144Hz, IPS, GSync compatible, good colour accuracy etc). 

Although it's a step down in terms of resolution from 4K, I immediately noticed the smoothness just at the desktop moving the cursor around last night, and I can't wait to get home from work and play some Rainbow Six Siege. 

Whilst I'm travelling to work though, I thought I'd ask the community, and those of it who already have high refresh rate/GSync/Freesync monitors, what should I do to get the most out of it, and also to properly bask in its glory? 

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies and have a nice day ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have GSync compatible mode enabled now after a little digging around getting the right monitor driver and enabling Freesync in the menus (thanks to the posts on this and other forums for helping with that!) 

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

You should try not having a secondary monitor that is a different refresh rate, cos any media playing on the secondary screen, even a blinking Steam chat notification will totally tank your frametimes.  It's annoying to say the least...  But other than that, enjoy your high refresh display! You can never go back to 60fps ?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

You should try not having a secondary monitor that is a different refresh rate, cos any media playing on the secondary screen, even a blinking Steam chat notification will totally tank your frametimes.  It's annoying to say the least...  But other than that, enjoy your high refresh display! You can never go back to 60fps ?

Cheers, yeah I have a little switch under my desk I can use to disconnect the secondary monitor when in games, I normally only use two when working from home for whatever reason, or maybe when streaming (which I haven't done for a long time). Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated! 

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

7 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

question about this.

if i have 3 monitors one at 240 with a G-sync module and another at 144 that's G-sync compatible and a 60Hz one that has no G-sync.

Could that be a cause for frame drops in games?

i noticed that after enabling my 240Hz monitor i went from 320fps to 120

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

question about this.

if i have 3 monitors one at 240 with a G-sync module and another at 144 that's G-sync compatible and a 60Hz one that has no G-sync.

Could that be a cause for frame drops in games?

i noticed that after enabling my 240Hz monitor i went from 320fps to 120

FPS drops probably not, more of a frametime issue.  The FPS stays high but it stutters like a mofo.  I only have 2 monitors tho so your issue may be a different one.

try shooting games.

Personally i got a lot better when going from a dirty laptop screen with 60Hz and 90Fps to my first 144Hz 1440p monitor (it was also 10 inches bigger).

basically went from being a 40 - 45% player on the leaderboard i ended up getting into the top 7%

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, CGurrell said:

Cheers, yeah I have a little switch under my desk I can use to disconnect the secondary monitor when in games, I normally only use two when working from home for whatever reason, or maybe when streaming (which I haven't done for a long time). Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated! 

I guess you can also download Nvidia's Pendulum demo and show off your monitor :P

Just now, Samfisher said:

FPS drops probably not, more of a frametime issue.  The FPS stays high but it stutters like a mofo.  I only have 2 monitors tho so your issue may be a different one.

hmm bummer.

i don't have frametime problems it's just the fact that my fps litterally dropped by 200

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

hmm bummer.

i don't have frametime problems it's just the fact that my fps litterally dropped by 200

Does it stay locked at 120?  Your GPU manufacturer's subreddit (Nvidia or AMD) might be a better place to ask, much much much wider circle of people on those places, you could find a solution there.

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

While this has been true for me for many years, there is a way to go around it. 

Play in a true full screen mode and don't use Windowed/Borderless mode. 

Disable Fast Startup in Windows10. 

Set GSync to work only in FullScreen applications. 

I have 165Hz and 2x60Hz and I can play videos and stuff on the other screens and nothing stutters anymore. 

Have in mind that GSync will work only as long as your FPS is lower than the max refresh rate of your monitor so if you want to have it enabled all the time you have to cap your FPS. 

Luckily many games now allow you to do that and always use the in-game FPS cap when available instead of a 3rd party application. 

R6S is a great game to try the high refresh rate on. But you will likely notice the difference vs 60Hz just by moving mouse cursor on the desktop. 

Generally any games where you move a lot like ApexLegends will be a massive difference vs 60Hz.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

While this has been true for me for many years, there is a way to go around it. 

Play in a true full screen mode and don't use Windowed/Borderless mode. 

Disable Fast Startup in Windows10. 

Set GSync to work only in FullScreen applications. 

I have 165Hz and 2x60Hz and I can play videos and stuff on the other screens and nothing stutters anymore. 

Have in mind that GSync will work only as long as your FPS is lower than the max refresh rate of your monitor so if you want to have it enabled all the time you have to cap your FPS. 

Luckily many games now allow you to do that and always use the in-game FPS cap when available instead of a 3rd party application. 

R6S is a great game to try the high refresh rate on. But you will likely notice the difference vs 60Hz just by moving mouse cursor on the desktop. 

Generally any games where you move a lot like ApexLegends will be a massive difference vs 60Hz.

This isn't even a workaround, more like do something completely different :P We're playing in borderless cos alt tabbing is a mainstay in PC usage now with how powerful cheap hardware is.  Plus games like Destiny 2 won't even let anything hook into their client so to stream it you CANNOT play in full screen otherwise you'll be streaming a blank screen.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

This isn't even a workaround, more like do something completely different :P We're playing in borderless cos alt tabbing is a mainstay in PC usage now with how powerful cheap hardware is.  Plus games like Destiny 2 won't even let anything hook into their client so to stream it you CANNOT play in full screen otherwise you'll be streaming a blank screen.

I have to admit that I had issues adjusting from being used to not alt+tab to having to start doing it. 

IDK about Desriny2, never played it. That's weird though... 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I have to admit that I had issues adjusting from being used to not alt+tab to having to start doing it. 

IDK about Desriny2, never played it. That's weird though... 

Any game that has pretty stringent anti-hack will block any programs from hooking into their executable.  Destiny 2 is just one of the few I've been playing recently.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:35 AM, Samfisher said:

also got a question about this, what about running the 2nd monitor from the onboard gpu if its only 60 fps? if available of course.

5 hours ago, SnakeFerBrains said:

also got a question about this, what about running the 2nd monitor from the onboard gpu if its only 60 fps? if available of course.

I've tried it (and lots have as well) but it doesn't work.  It's just Windows refreshing the desktop at the same refresh rate so borderless windowed games are considered the desktop.  Fullscreen (exclusive fullscreen) overrides this and that software gets priority for any refresh.