Are CPUs supposed to just shut themselves off if they reach their TJ max?

I just got a TR 3960X CPU and I have only a Noctua U9S cooling it. I'm getting PC crashes during video rendering and I'm wondering if it's due to the CPU overheating.

I assumed it would just throttle if it got too hot. Could it be shutting itself off? Or are these crashes likely to be caused by something else?

It should throttle down, but if it sees it is increasing rather fast, the system might just panic and shut off.

Of course it can be due to other things as well.

The first thing I would probably do is actually check the temps during rendering. E.g. setup a program like HWInfo64, turning on the render and seeing what happens.

Or it could be worth it to check if Windows recording anything about this crash in Event Viewer. Could be due to RAM too for example?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

How does it crash? Is it a complete system shutdown, or other state? Generally there are two threshold temperatures. One where the CPU goes into thermal throttling, and another higher up where it goes into protective shutdown. So if the system turns itself off, it could be the 2nd stage being reached. If it is some other crash, that's probably not it.

If I'm not mistaken the cooler in question was never designed for Threadripper. It may offer insufficient coverage of the IHS and not cool the chiplets adequately. For sure have a look at temperatures, but do not be surprised if you need a designed for TR cooler to get the most from the system.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

It should throttle down, but if it sees it is increasing rather fast, the system might just panic and shut off.

Of course it can be due to other things as well.

The first thing I would probably do is actually check the temps during rendering. E.g. setup a program like HWInfo64, turning on the render and seeing what happens.

Or it could be worth it to check if Windows recording anything about this crash in Event Viewer. Could be due to RAM too for example?

The last crash was at less than 90C. The 3960X isn't very well supported in temp monitoring apps yet since it's a new release, but Core Temp 1.15.1 is showing around 90C, maximum of 99C. 

I don't see anything in the Event Viewer about the crashes. Only a "hindsight" event of "the previous shutdown was unexpected".

1 minute ago, porina said:

How does it crash? Is it a complete system shutdown, or other state? Generally there are two threshold temperatures. One where the CPU goes into thermal throttling, and another higher up where it goes into protective shutdown. So if the system turns itself off, it could be the 2nd stage being reached. If it is some other crash, that's probably not it.

If I'm not mistaken the cooler in question was never designed for Threadripper. It may offer insufficient coverage of the IHS and not cool the chiplets adequately. For sure have a look at temperatures, but do not be surprised if you need a designed for TR cooler to get the most from the system.

My monitor seems to have a source-disconnect (blue monitor screen), but for example, my Youtube video will keep playing (sound) for a good 5-8 seconds. Then the PC shuts off and restarts itself.

The cooler does cover the entire IHS, but the TR is probably a bit extreme for such a small cooler. 

I have a feeling this is GPU related. I'm trying a CPU-only render right now, so time will tell.

it depend on how it crash.

if we were speaking about Thermal. then it should be not the case since the Clock were lower gradually after throttle to reach stable temprature. unless it was really heavy rendering. either way the system will shut down the CPU before it got damaged

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

16 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

The last crash was at less than 90C. The 3960X isn't very well supported in temp monitoring apps yet since it's a new release, but Core Temp 1.15.1 is showing around 90C, maximum of 99C. 

I don't see anything in the Event Viewer about the crashes. Only a "hindsight" event of "the previous shutdown was unexpected".

Does Ryzen master work in showing temps?

If the CPU render goes well, you could check the GPU further for any issues. Or you can run Cinebench R20 and compare your scores to the scores others get, to see if your CPU is actually throttling down its speed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

37 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Did you try monitoring how quickly the temperature goes up while rendering? It could just aswell be that 90C is just the last thing you get to see, but the temp spikes up at such a rate that the system doesn't keep up with displaying that to you, before the protection kicks in.

Based on tdp ratings. Your cooler is insufficient for cooling a threadripper cpu. Cooler is rated for 140 watt tdp while 3960X is rated for 280 watt tdp stock. 

So I'm pretty sure your cpu is getting way too hot and shuts down. Before doing much else, I would totally get a better cooling maybe a god 360 mm aio. Threadripper need a good cooling when under full load. 

You cut also try to under clock cpu to lower voltage and core clock and see if it still shutdown. If not, then I will say you have a thermal issue and needs a better cooler. 

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Does Ryzen master work in showing temps?

If the CPU render goes well, you could check the GPU further for any issues. Or you can run Cinebench R20 and compare your scores to the scores others get, to see if your CPU is actually throttling down its speed.

Good call on Ryzen Master, it's giving me a lot of good info. It's between 83 and 90C during this CPU-only render - which is still going after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Far longer than any of my GPU accelerated renders lasted without crashing. 

43 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

Based on tdp ratings. Your cooler is insufficient for cooling a threadripper cpu. Cooler is rated for 140 watt tdp while 3960X is rated for 280 watt tdp stock. 

So I'm pretty sure your cpu is getting way too hot and shuts down. Before doing much else, I would totally get a better cooling maybe a god 360 mm aio. Threadripper need a good cooling when under full load. 

You cut also try to under clock cpu to lower voltage and core clock and see if it still shutdown. If not, then I will say you have a thermal issue and needs a better cooler. 

Where are you seeing TDP ratings for the Noctua coolers?

My CPU is only using about 100w during rendering. Utilization is around ~50% on all cores.