2400 ram in 2133 supported laptop?

Hi I am going to upgrade my ram from 8 to 16. I went to crucials website and they gave a ram suggestion that was supported for my specific laptop however Lenovo says it’s max is 2133 and the ram they suggested is 2400 will it be just fine but only operate at 2133 or can it cause issues? I asked this on Reddit without a solid answer so just wondering if anyone here could shed some light.

Laptop: Lenovo Y700-15isk

Not sure if you need any more info just ask if needed :) thank you

Is it RAM with a 2400MHz XMP profile?  If it's just a XMP profile then I'd imagine it would be find to use in your laptop.  You just won't be able to enable XMP.  Actually, can you link the RAM?  That may help someone get you an answer.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

With DDR3, in my experience RAM was really not picky at all. Higher and lower speeds just worked with no issues at all.

With DDR4 that has somewhat stayed the same, just with a (from my experience) 95% success rate. So it will likely work, but I always have a hard time saying 'yes for sure'.

When you plug in the 2400Mhz RAM, it should just default to 2133Mhz and work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, nick name said:

Is it RAM with a 2400MHz XMP profile?  If it's just a XMP profile then I'd imagine it would be find to use in your laptop.  You just won't be able to enable XMP.  Actually, can you link the RAM?  That may help someone get you an answer.  

I’m not too sure what you mean by XMP profile but here is the ram I was suggested by crucial that they say is compatible from the title it is all good 260 pin etc just the 2400 / 2133 is what’s kinda confusing me 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019FRBHZ0?tag=ps-uk-micron02-21

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

With DDR3, in my experience RAM was really not picky at all. Higher and lower speeds just worked with no issues at all.

With DDR4 that has somewhat stayed the same, just with a (from my experience) 95% success rate. So it will likely work, but I always have a hard time saying 'yes for sure'.

When you plug in the 2400Mhz RAM, it should just default to 2133Mhz and work.

Ah okay it’s DDR4 so there is a very high chance it will work without issues but just go down to 2133? Makes sense that’s what I was thinking but I had to ask people who know more than me :) 

Just now, JESS1CA1996 said:

Ah okay it’s DDR4 so there is a very high chance it will work without issues but just go down to 2133? Makes sense that’s what I was thinking but I had to ask people who know more than me :) 

In my experience, Crucial memory has been 'very compatible' with all kinds of laptops. The speed will indeed go down to 2133 on its own.

Unfortunately I was not able to find people who used that RAM + laptop, but I am still quite confident it will work.

Although I would always recommend purchasing from a retailer with a decent return policy.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

In my experience, Crucial memory has been 'very compatible' with all kinds of laptops. The speed will indeed go down to 2133 on its own.

Unfortunately I was not able to find people who used that RAM + laptop, but I am still quite confident it will work.

Although I would always recommend purchasing from a retailer with a decent return policy.

Thank you very much I appreciate the help :)