Returning to the PC-land after about 2 years

So I used to be an avid pc enthusiast. I used to know all the processors there were. But then I went on a 2 year(ish) break. Now I left when Ryzen was introduced first. And now it looks like Ryzen dominates the market? And why the hell are RAM prices so fricking high?!

Ok my real question: what's the difference between Ryzen gen 1, 2 and 3? I want to build a €800(ish) pc.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

Ok my real question: what's the difference between Ryzen gen 1, 2 and 3? I want to build a €800(ish) pc.

Speed, obviously. Same difference you would expect between different Intel CPU generations: somewhat higher IPC and higher clocks.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

21 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Speed, obviously. Same difference you would expect between different Intel CPU generations: somewhat higher IPC and higher clocks.

So is it worth the extra cost? I'm coming from an FX-8350, because I like the extra power. To be able to watch YouTube while gaming, while running a server.

With the new Ryzen 3000 series we are seeing single-core performance on par with Intel, but multi-core performance that totally destroys Intel. If you do multible things while gaming a 3700X or a 3800X is a good choice. 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

So is it worth the extra cost? I'm coming from an FX-8350, because I like the extra power. To be able to watch YouTube while gaming, while running a server.

For your use case, probably yes. With 2nd gen you should be able to get a few more cores than 3rd gen for about the same price, but the 3rd gen cores will have better IPC. If you were strictly going for productivity those extra cores might be more important, but since you want to game at the same time, I'd say go for higher IPC.

7 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

With the new Ryzen 3000 series we are seeing single-core performance on par with Intel, but multi-core performance that totally destroys Intel. If you do multible things while gaming a 3700X or a 3800X is a good choice. 

Wow is AMD on par? I get why they absolutely dominate the market haha. I remember when my 8 core 4ghz FX was comparable to a 2c 4t i5 from an office pc ?

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

For your use case, probably yes. With 2nd gen you should be able to get a few more cores than 3rd gen for about the same price, but the 3rd gen cores will have better IPC. If you were strictly going for productivity those extra cores might be more important, but since you want to game at the same time, I'd say go for higher IPC.

Allright, I think I'm going to go with the 3d gen

1 minute ago, lolimpol said:

Wow is AMD on par? I get why they absolutely dominate the market haha. I remember when my 8 core 4ghz FX was comparable to a 2c 4t i5 from an office pc ?

To be fair, Intel still has a slight advantage in clock speed. AMD's IPC is on par (or even better), but Intel is still able to reach higher clocks. But the advantage isn't that big anymore and Intel's prices are a lot higher, so yeah it's no wonder AMD is gaining a lot of traction.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

To be fair, Intel still has a slight advantage in clock speed. AMD's IPC is on par (or even better), but Intel is still able to reach higher clocks. But the advantage isn't that big anymore and Intel's prices are a lot higher, so yeah it's no wonder AMD is gaining a lot of traction.

Sounds awesome. I remember fearing the death of AMD because they were so far behind. Before Ryzen they had FX from 2012. You were better off on an Android ?

5 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

The big functional difference as I understand between the 1xxx, 2xxx, and 3xxx is power and memory usage.  If you overclock your memory and CPU to 3xxx levels (which with a 1xxx seems to require a custom loop) you can get performance out of a 1xxx nearly equal to a 3xxx.  It draws massive amounts of power and creates insane heat to do it though.  The 3xxx gets nearly nothing from an overclock but will run at speeds similar or faster than a heavily overclocked 1xxx on a stock cooler.  The xf8350 is 8 core but is slower.  You’re running a lot of concurrent software so it’s hard for me to say if going down in threads but up in MHz will work better for you or not, and worth is of course subjective.  It will likely run games faster because it has higher single core.  It’s a question of how much extra strain running that server makes.  The video should do nearly nothing.  An x7xx would solve all possible ills because it would have higher single core while maintaining core count.  The server is an unknown though.

As to ram prices they seem to vary wildly depending on cas.  I’m suspecting there are shortages of some types of dram chips but not others.  For a while it was a glue shortage because a factory burned down.  That got rebuilt though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The big functional difference as I understand between the 1xxx, 2xxx, and 3xxx is power and memory usage.  If you overclock your memory and CPU to 3xxx levels (which with a 1xxx seems to require a custom loop) you can get performance out of a 1xxx nearly equal to a 3xxx.  It draws massive amounts of power and creates insane heat to do it though.  The 3xxx gets nearly nothing from an overclock but will run at speeds similar or faster than a heavily overclocked 1xxx on a stock cooler.  The xf8350 is 8 core but is slower.  You’re running a lot of concurrent software so it’s hard for me to say if going down in threads but up in MHz will work better for you or not, and worth is of course subjective.  It will likely run games faster because it has higher single core.  It’s a question of how much extra strain running that server makes.  The video should do nearly nothing.  An x7xx would solve all possible ills because it would have higher single core while maintaining core count.  The server is an unknown though.

As to ram prices they seem to vary wildly depending on cas.  I’m suspecting there are shortages of some types of dram chips but not others.  For a while it was a glue shortage because a factory burned down.  That got rebuilt though.

So a 2700 is a better option than a 3600 for multitasking? Also I've seen that a 1900x threadripper goes for the same amount as a 2700, should I do that instead?

1 hour ago, lolimpol said:

To put it in layman terms
Ryzen 1: Ultra Kill
Ryzen 2: Monster Kill
Ryzen 3: GODLIKE

Ryzen 4: BEYOND GODLIKE

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

23 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

So a 2700 is a better option than a 3600 for multitasking? Also I've seen that a 1900x threadripper goes for the same amount as a 2700, should I do that instead?

Nah the 1900X is not as good as the 2700, and the 6-core 3600 has an equal multi-core score compared to the 8-core 2700 because the IPC improvement is that significant, though you might have a use for having extra cores but you'd suffer a bit in gaming performance.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

20 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

Should? I try not to do should.  You can’t use more than you use.  I can’t tell how much you use.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Nah the 1900X is not as good as the 2700, and the 6-core 3600 has an equal multi core score compared to the 8-core 2700 because the IPC improvement is that significant, though you might have a use for having extra cores but you'd suffer a bit in gaming performance.

The gaming performance seems to be great anyways, and since I do a lot of other things except for gaming, combined with the fact that I can actually find this on the used market here, In going to buy a 2700.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Should? I try not to do should.  You can’t use more than you use.  I can’t tell how much you use.

That's true, but I just found out how much motherboard cost for that thing! Hell no.

2700 it is. Now for some GPU's ?