10 Gbe switch added inside a already 1 Gbe lan (and a NAS)

Ericarthurc
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

1. Yes, 10Gb to the NAS and 1Gb to the rest of the network

2. Only routed traffic would be impacted. Assuming everything that needs 10Gb will live on the same VLAN, you're good.

I have a networking question. :D I already have a pretty big 1Gb network, I have a Sonicwall NSA 2600 firewall that also handles DHCP, and then a Cisco Catalyst 3750G and then three other smaller cisco switches connected over SFP to the Catalyst switch. We have multiple buildings and a large campus. I am working on a new NAS right now with 10Gbe. I would like a couple people in a certain building to have 10Gbe network to the NAS but also WAN access and access to all the other ips on the network (Vlan 1). 

My question is if I setup a small 10 port 10Gbe switch in the same physical location as the NAS and setup the nas on that switch; and then setup the 5ish clients on the 10Gbe switch. But also connect the 10Gbe switch with the main 1Gb lan on the same VLAN. 

1. Will all the clients in the 10Gbe switch have 10gb speed to the NAS and also access to the rest of the network?

2. The firewall handles DHCP and Vlans but would be in a different building then the 10Gbe switch; so the 10Gbe switch would be connected to WAN and DHCP and VLAN assignment over 1Gbe; would that affect clients and/or stop 10Gbe access to the NAS. 

I just need the few clients to have 10Gbe to the NAS and WAN access out the firewall on the rest of VLAN 1.

2. Only routed traffic would be impacted. Assuming everything that needs 10Gb will live on the same VLAN, you're good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, Lurick said:

Awesome! Thank you!