G4mingArt1st

How do you find a monitor that has:

120 or greater Refresh

1 ms or comparable Response time

sRGB 99% to 100 and/or FULL RGB

26" or greater screen size

1920x1800 resolution or more

And anything else I might be missing?

I want to use my system to game at Max settings, but also get deepest to brightest, but super accurate colors when I do photo editing and 3d models.

You may want to prioritize which of these features you most want.  Some of them are quite expensive.  Particularly the resolution.  You are talking about a very very expensive monitor.  “More” it is going to be.  Possibly a lot more.  Afaik monitors have never been made in that size.  The hard one is going to be the 1800 vertical resolution.  I’ve got a wqxga 30” 2560x1600 and it’s a very unusual shape as it is.  It wasn’t made for gaming, so it’s quite slow and it’s also old.   Modern monitors are even less square than mine.  Getting that 1800 might force you into a very large monitor.  Qsxga would do it.  It’s 2560x2048.  There are very very few 5x4 monitors being made. And they’re not often made for gaming, so fast response is going to be even harder to find.  Especially when combined with color accuracy. You also want gaming monitor features though.  A 4K gaming monitor might have at least some of them.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If I had to choose, then it'd have to be the monitor that has the best quality for editing.

If I choose colors, either from Photoshop or a color guide, I want to be able to make sure that they're the best colors.

I only see the refresh rate as a plus then so if I decide to play some games, the monitor won't lag behind making me make a crucial mistake.

I mean, surely there's something possible? At least as a baseline maybe?

It might be.  The ms requirement was kind of a non starter.  Qsxga is still a fantastically rare beast though. Going up to 4K would work.  It’s going to take a lot of video card but it’s possible.  144mhz 4K IPS monitors can be had for as little as $800.  The Good ones are nearer 3k though.

So what it seems you want is a 4K IPS monitor with 144mhz refresh, and a Nvidia card with 8gig of memory to drive it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It might be.  The ms requirement was kind of a non starter.  Qsxga is still a fantastically rare beast though. Going up to 4K would work.  It’s going to take a lot of video card but it’s possible.  144mhz 4K IPS monitors can be had for as little as $800.  The Good ones are nearer 3k though.

So what it seems you want is a 4K IPS monitor with 144mhz refresh, and a Nvidia card with 8gig of memory to drive it.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card

This is the card I plan to use.

I WANT to go 11gb, but...may be too much or unnecessary

I found these 2 and figure these are in my price range. Also, have some pretty good features.

VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC, TN Panel 115% sRGB, DP HDMIx3 VESA https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NBM6KYH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0.MdEbYE6JTZ9

MSI Full HD Non-Glare 1ms 1920 x 1080 144Hz Refresh Rate USB/DP/HDMI Smart Headset Hanger FreeSync 27" Gaming Curved Monitor (Optix MAG271C) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F9YJK76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-pNdEbJ70QT3A

Edited by G4mingArt1st

41 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

I found these 2 and figure these are in my price range. Also, have some pretty good features.

VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC, TN Panel 115% sRGB, DP HDMIx3 VESA https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NBM6KYH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0.MdEbYE6JTZ9

MSI Full HD Non-Glare 1ms 1920 x 1080 144Hz Refresh Rate USB/DP/HDMI Smart Headset Hanger FreeSync 27" Gaming Curved Monitor (Optix MAG271C) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F9YJK76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-pNdEbJ70QT3A

They are both significantly different from what was described, but if you like em you like em.

the top one is 1440p which is 2650x1400.  Its TN, which is not known for its color reproduction quality.  The 1ms claim may not have any meaning.

The second monitor is 1080p which is much smaller.  It does not say what kind of panel it is at all.

Surely there's a compromise somewhere in here. Lol

Main goal is to have maximum S RGB rating, but also sharp resolution.

4 hours ago, G4mingArt1st said:

Surely there's a compromise somewhere in here. Lol

Main goal is to have maximum S RGB rating, but also sharp resolution.

Decent Price, Good color repro, high refresh.

Pick two lol

You might look at the PG27UQ. That's about as good as it's going to get at the moment.

7 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Decent Price, Good color repro, high refresh.

Pick two lol

You might look at the PG27UQ. That's about as good as it's going to get at the moment.

A taaaaad too high in price, imo...

1 hour ago, G4mingArt1st said:

A taaaaad too high in price, imo...

The problem it seems is you want a bunch of things all at the same time, but the only monitors that do that cost more than you can afford.  The monitor mentioned was ~$1500.  I can’t tell whether that was only a little bit too high or very much too high as the word “taaaaad” could be sarcastic or not.  The monitors you did pick were between $250 and $275, which is the very lowest end of what 1440p monitors generally cost, which implies the latter.  It seems since decent price is a hard lock you need to pick only one or two features you wish to search for.  Getting both color accuracy and refresh rate at the same time is basically impossible below that $1500 mentioned.  So if color accuracy is important you’re looking at a low end 1440p IPS panel, or a mid end IPS 1080p  panel.  One problem you may have is that marketers get into fudging that RGB rating you mentioned, and the numbers aren’t any more accurate than ms.  A highly color accurate panel with 6bit color is coming to be far less accurate than less accurate panel with 10 bit color.  It simply has a much much smaller color gamut. High color accuracy monitors need to be calibrated fairly frequently as well so you are also looking at the cost of a color calibrator.

Thank you for the information provided.

As a graphic artist, in the past I'd always go for rich colors that matches the theme.

So, I can give up speed for the accuracy of colors.

Which doesn't matter if I'm just playing Single-Player games.

2 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

I think I keep coming back to the Viewsonic

Look at reviews.  Go to a b&m store and see how they perform.  My personal opinion is buy an art monitor and game on it rather then buy a gaming monitor and do art on it.  Art monitors are better at gaming than gaming monitors are at art.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Look at reviews.  Go to a b&m store and see how they perform.  My personal opinion is buy an art monitor and game on it rather then buy a gaming monitor and do art on it.  Art monitors are better at gaming than gaming monitors are at art.

So, I don't live anywhere near New York City to visit one, but I do live an hour away'ish from a Microcenter.

However, I'm intrigued by the idea of an Art to Game. Please, tell me more.

I won't turn down the idea of a curved monitor really.

29 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

So, I don't live anywhere near New York City to visit one, but I do live an hour away'ish from a Microcenter.

However, I'm intrigued by the idea of an Art to Game. Please, tell me more.

I won't turn down the idea of a curved monitor really.

Not much to tell.  Ditch your gaming requirements and buy a monitor to do graphic design on.  At your budget range it’s going to be 60hz and the ms will kinda suck.  Not great for battle royals fps competitions but it will look great for adventure games.  Color correction is important for stuff like preflight and print stuff.  It can save you a color sep or two which will pay for itself just like that.  For web work or school work color correction is less important because it doesn’t get printed.  The issue with web stuff is people are going to look at your stuff on monitors that aren’t color corrected so it’s kind of a waste. School work same thing.  It won’t ever go to a press.  The most that will happen is a color printer and you’re going to want to correct for that separately anyway.

That's another proven point and something I've noticed, is the color correction aspect.

The research this is providing shows monitor hunts are just as painful as PC parts.

If I pull back the limits and stick to actual reasonable stuff, it could be easier.

You also prove a point that my colors won't be the same as the other. So, the color accuracy won't be much as a problem than first thought.

I do like to shop on Amazon, where good deals are found (giftcardstoo).

So, scrapping the hardcore requirements like sRGB and 1 MS should make things easier. Right??

2 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

That's another proven point and something I've noticed, is the color correction aspect.

The research this is providing shows monitor hunts are just as painful as PC parts.

If I pull back the limits and stick to actual reasonable stuff, it could be easier.

You also prove a point that my colors won't be the same as the other. So, the color accuracy won't be much as a problem than first thought.

I do like to shop on Amazon, where good deals are found (giftcardstoo).

So, scrapping the hardcore requirements like sRGB and 1 MS should make things easier. Right??

It’s the grand irritation of computer graphic design.  Every monitor is different and doing something as simple as switching on a light will change how it looks.  What matters is output.  Not what you are looking at but what the person viewing the work will be looking at.  There was this dude in the 60’s who was the sound engineer for all the big names back then.  He had the “wall of sound” thing.  Got incredibly rich. He was sometimes referred to as “the man who learned to play the radio”. He would do his sound checks with piles of different equipment including car radio speakers. (Which are the time were just about the crappiest speakers on the planet). It didn’t matter what the band played as much as what the subject heard.

• 3 weeks later...