Asus fx504gm power supply issue

Jake uk

Hi there sometimes i notice my laptop battery level goes down even while charging and sometimes causes the laptop to hard freeze, this only happens when playing certain demanding games such as GTA 5 or Forza horizon 4 etc, i believe this is because the power supply supplied with the laptop isn't powerful enough for the components when they are running at high usage, i have tried contacting Asus about this and i have sent the laptop to them for RMA however the laptop still has the same issue once i got it back, i was wondering if could i replace the 150 watt 19.5v power supply with a 180 watt 19.5v power supply to try and fix this issue?

Thanks for your help.

what are your components?

cuz i dont know much about laptops but 150 watt is really really low wattage

Hi the components are I7 8750h with a GTX 1060 6gb and 16gb of ram in dual channel,

Thanks.

Okay that is a really low wattage power supply for those parts, i assume the manufacturer has underclocked/undervolted those parts to work, but if possible could u install core temp or msi afterburner and see the temps that your parts get to when under heavy load
because if your cpu gets too hot it will shutdown 

i've had the same problem with a laptop i had a few years ago where it would just freeze and it was because of cpu temps so that might be the issue, and if so theres not much u can do about it with a laptop, so i would definitely contact asus or whatever seller you bought it from  

Hi the highest temperature the CPU reaches in GTA 5 on very high detail is around 75-80 celsius and the GPU stays around 65-70, i will try contacting Asus about it again,

Thanks for your help.

25 minutes ago, Clearlyyy said:

i assume the manufacturer has underclocked/undervolted those parts to work

It's laptop, of course it's downclocked because you can't cramp full blown cooling system in there.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply