xeon or 4790k

Hey guys, so im considering upgrading my i5 4460 to a new cpu with 8 threads and a higher clock speed. I was considering a 4790k but the prices are pretty high (usually 150-200+) and then i found similarly spec'd xeons for much cheaper (this one is 85 on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1271V3-SR1R3-3-60GHz-Quad-Core-LGA1150-CPU-Processor/362865500598?hash=item547c7821b6%3Ag%3ARbkAAOSwYIJeB-Rv&LH_BIN=1

My mb cant really overclock or anything anyway so I don't have to worry about that. My question is, is there any real downside to the Xeon vs the 4790? in terms of gaming or otherwise? is it worth it to buy the cheaper Xeon?

Thanks

I would suggest not bothering unless there is absolutely no choice.  I’ve been having repetitive and growing problems with win10 on my z97.  I suspect it’s soon to become a Linux machine.  Take the money and build a newer machine that won’t become legacy for at least a while longer.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve been having repetitive and growing problems with win10 on my z97

Take the money and build a newer machine that won’t become legacy for at least a while longer.

I think your an outlier there...not the norm.

But I fully agree with the second statement... I've already seen games use 85%+ of my 4790K with a GTX1070 (2019 Games, Multithreaded by nature)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

yeah main problem im having is the cpu is pegged at 100% in most games and my 980ti sits at about 80-90% usage, and in more cpu intensive games i get some pretty harsh stutters, most notably the outer worlds. 

Also idk if it matters much but my MB is an H97 PC mate

3 minutes ago, spicy-j said:

yeah main problem im having is the cpu is pegged at 100% in most games and my 980ti sits at about 80-90% usage, and in more cpu intensive games i get some pretty harsh stutters, most notably the outer worlds. 

Also idk if it matters much but my MB is an H97 PC mate

Yeah.  The last days of fast 4/4 are happening. 4/8 may not be that far behind though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

likely so, but i just need a hold over until I have a bigger budget (I have about a year before i finish nursing school and can get a steady job), I was considering just selling what I have and going for a Ryzen 2600 build (about the max my budget allows), but from what ive seen it looks like i can get nearly the same or better performance with something like a 4790k or similar xeon i can get similar performance (maybe with a bit higher cpu usage but still better than the 100% im currently seeing) 

Oh im also about to upgrade my monitor to 144hz, if i was keeping this 60hz monitor i wouldn't even be considering an upgrade. 

21 minutes ago, spicy-j said:

likely so, but i just need a hold over until I have a bigger budget (I have about a year before i finish nursing school and can get a steady job), I was considering just selling what I have and going for a Ryzen 2600 build (about the max my budget allows), but from what ive seen it looks like i can get nearly the same or better performance with something like a 4790k or similar xeon i can get similar performance (maybe with a bit higher cpu usage but still better than the 100% im currently seeing) 

Oh im also about to upgrade my monitor to 144hz, if i was keeping this 60hz monitor i wouldn't even be considering an upgrade. 

That’s a k chip on a z series though.  I’ve got a 4770k with a garbage overclock that makes my machine about the same speed asa 4790 non k.  I can bury a rx580, but doing it pushes my cpu to ~80%.  I was seeing 50-60 FPS on 2560x1600 (which is a bit over 1440p)@60hz. on outer worlds with medium settings.  The cpu is definitely slower than a 2600.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a k chip on a z series though.  I’ve got a 4770k with a garbage overclock that makes my machine about the same speed asa 4790 non k. 

The cpu is definitely slower than a 2600.

Might be different on Singlecore if the 4c8t 4770/4790K was above 4.6Ghz or higher but then the limits are still there for a 4790k for upgrading later.. plus the heat and cooler requirements for such a High OC vs a Stock Ryzen 2600/3600

Just buy Ryzen. Dont buy a platform just to replace it soon,...buying twice...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Double posting on purpose, just to mention you can likely always.... recoup some of your efforts back because someone, somewhere, also wants your old PC to upgrade from their worse one.
While you 'want/need' an upgrade, and have choice of many factors, you can help offset your newer decisions with the old build because someone will buy that off you (for a fair realistic price)

thanks for the advice guys, i think i might just go with a total upgrade then, spend a few extra bucks

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  The last days of fast 4/4 are happening. 4/8 may not be that far behind though.

People as a whole don't use computers like people that use forums say they do. 4/8 should become the economic sweet spot and people with 4 will just wish they were hyperthreading.  There's still 2 core out there using ssd, and those are plenty fast for simple work.

2 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

People as a whole don't use computers like people that use forums say they do. 4/8 should become the economic sweet spot and people with 4 will just wish they were hyperthreading.  There's still 2 core out there using ssd, and those are plenty fast for simple work.

There is an assumption that he wants to game, which is somewhat specialized.  It’s not just a fourm it’s a gaming forum.  If he’s not gaming though I’m not sure the diagnosis changes all that much. An upgrade to a faster cpu won’t necessarily save his machine from the March of upgrades if he wants to use Windows.  

The 4790k is quite a bit faster than that Xeon due to a .4ghz difference in clock speed. Even on a H81 chipset motherboard you could overclock the i7 slightly, making it even faster. 
I was having this debate with myself recently and I'm going to end up buying an unlocked i7 at some point. The single threaded performance of a Xeon just isn't going to cut it.