Dead 790i ultra sli help

hello, first post.. let's see how it goes!

I'll make it quick here... I was in a hurry to test out my EK supremacy evo I got for my EVGA 790i ultra sli... It didn't come from ppc with the proper backplate so I "modified" (with a dremel and vice) the supplied backplate to fit 775.

while testing different CPUs for overclocking, the backplate piece for the top right corner touched a lead for an inductor, the threaded post for holding the block down got extremely hot, PC shut off.. and won't fully turn on again.

PSU is tested and is okay... cpu swap doesnt show different result... 24 pin only (no CPU 8 pin connected) and it turns on, enough to light up and fans spin, but no POST obviously.

when the 8 pin CPU power is connected, and power button pressed, the PSU goes into a safe mode and the board loses power.

if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please help! I've accidentally killed my precious.

20191231_193734.jpg

20191231_193744.jpg

:(

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.