[Build Log] "Custom CASE 8.2L (9400F & 2060) - LUNCHBOX

DefinitelyTech

This post starts off lengthy but then picks up to be quicker later. I recommend jumping to THE CASE section if you aren't interested in the thought process and plan.

Back Story

SO! I am always into the a full pc that takes up very little space on the desk. And I recently moved from a large sit/stand desk to a smaller desk due to some new things in my life. Luckily I have been previously working with the Custmod cases. The Custmod SXM 6.3L is a wonderful case that allows a SFX PSU, ITX motherboard (53mm cooler clearance), and GPU length maximum of 183mm. The SFX power supply allows me to use a virtually silent PSU with a 80+ platinum rating. Flex PSUs are not close to silent especially before the Noctua fan mod. Plus they get expensive for performance over 80+ gold rating.

My original build included:

TO-GO BOX

LM Delidded i7 8700k

Cryorig C7-G

Gigabyte Z390i Aorus

Intel 660p 1TB m.2 SSD

Gigabyte RTX 2060 itx

Corsair SF 750W PSU

Custmod SXM 6.3L

1.thumb.jpg.016dc0595569af03b265fb4dc42777ca.jpg

Now this build was great for smaller gaming sessions, especially when I mostly play World of Warcraft. The system stays pretty quiet because nothing really demanded a lot of performance and therefore the fans never ramp up very much. But even with ambient noise at a soft 28dB. Testing the system at around 6 inches away from the front, it got up to 44dB WHILE IDLE. Which is absolutely silent for gaming with headphones but since my computer is in the living room, it distracted me often. (My wife didn't notice most of the time).

NOW FOR THE REAL PROJECT

I was able to grab a 1440p 144Hz TV, so when this system is reaching 50dB while gaming, so pushing it through a 1440p high refresh rate medium, the fans really start to ramp up, which is absolutely unacceptable if there are other people in the living room. This needs to be fixed. What I loved about the Custmod case was that it never really interfered into my mouse space. I could use the entire front portion of my desk with no trouble. So here is my golden standard points in the next build:

- SFX PSU for quiet power and I already have SF 750W

- Around 10L build. Anything towering over the monitor may look out of place

- AT LEAST 120mm radiator + 15mm thick fan for possible custom loop

- Monoblock CPU to eliminate excess heat leaking into other components

- No longer than 200mm length to not impede on mouse space

At first, it seems the Phanteks Evolv Shift with Hybrid GPU and 120mm AIO for CPU was the best solution, but that case is SUCH a goliath, and the bad airflow is a clear problem. We will back seat that idea. (we will never come back to this). Next, lets surf the internet for SFF cases that allow radiator support. This link on reddit IS A LIFESAVER. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/htmlview?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf.

It introduced me to a LOAD of new options. mainly from the company Warhead who have built several cases that mark off most of my wants. The main two cases are the WH Frisk case and the WH-Nano case. These cases do require a Flex PSU, but everything else is included. UNFORTUNATELY, Warhead seems to have stopped either selling these cases or paying attention to these case orders. I ordered the Nano on two separate websites, and one was canceled after 3 days then the other stayed pending for 3 weeks. After that time, I asked for a refund. I REALLY wanted to get this done before the new year. I simultaneously toyed with the idea of a custom case using parvum mod cubes and 3mm acrylic, but that didn't really go well.

So I finally settled on a case. The CUSTMOD SXM 6.3L case, BUT with a custom front panel to raise the case height. A hybrid custom case is the best solution I could come up with since it seems no other solution is available on the market. Using the spine of the Custmod case, and taking off the front panel to replace it with a 3mm acrylic custom panel is optimal.

THE CASE

Here is the acrylic I'm starting with. I used a 18"x 24" piece then cut it into three separate 15mm wide sheets, and the 24" length is perfect. Sharpie marks indicate bending lines. Smaller marks indicate placement on how to attach to the back of the case. It may vary depending on how the bends go.

3.thumb.jpg.0120ede54448e0ad4043eee2477b737c.jpg

MK1 of the Case. Good Start but it can be improved. Unfortunately, the bottom corner cracked while drilling holes using a regular drill. Luckily, I have access to a drill press. The holes were much cleaner. The bends here are sloppy and the connection is not super solid in the back. If you are curious about dimensions of bending. please get in touch with me. Total Volume 8.3L here.

2.thumb.jpg.d2c85a06f7793857eaff1492f7bd1ce3.jpg

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

I unfortunately did not take good notes going forward but here is what I have completed so far!!

MK2 "Front" (CPU SIDE) View, pre-tube runs.

5.thumb.jpg.74653ca96a65f93772e7cd5a485c22b7.jpg

System is filled and being bled.

7.thumb.jpg.cad8c403f9178d2cd53201658212a1c0.jpg

System is tested and does extremely well. During synthetic loads Max CPU: 68C. Max GPU 55C!! AND 33dB DURING FULL LOADS.

Still on the to-do list

- drill hole for power button

- paint acrylic black

- remove psuedo-reservoir with quick disconnect fitting.

- Try MK3 to improve bends?

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202