Any Cheap Method for running DC fan from PWM Signal?

Jay Deah

Just got myself a LANCOOL II case that includes 3x DC Fans.

Then motherboard i'm using is a lenovo prebuilt and it has 3x PWM case fan headers. Unforunately 2 of them need to be plugged in for the system to POST. If i connect a DC fan it posts fine but the fans fun @ 100%

What i'm after is a cheap alternative to running out and buying PWM fans to replace the included DC fans, retaining the fan speed control

do i have any options?

45 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

Just got myself a LANCOOL II case that includes 3x DC Fans.

Then motherboard i'm using is a lenovo prebuilt and it has 3x PWM case fan headers. Unforunately 2 of them need to be plugged in for the system to POST. If i connect a DC fan it posts fine but the fans fun @ 100%

What i'm after is a cheap alternative to running out and buying PWM fans to replace the included DC fans, retaining the fan speed control

do i have any options?

Just get a DC fan controller from ebay/aliexpress

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

for the price of 2 of those i may aswell just buy some PWM fans

You would only need one. CPU fan should have PWM already. Or if you are using AIO, both pump and fans are PWM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

swapped the SYS_FAN to PWM and it now POSTS without AUX1_FAN connected which is good...

read the reviews of the case and people said the fans it comes with are average anyway.

slightly more concerning is that the fan rams up to high RPM as the OS loads. the mobo is from a Lenovo workstation (its running a Xeon 12755v6) so possible it's "supposed" to be 100% fan speed.

hopefully i can do something with software fan control..

23 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

swapped the SYS_FAN to PWM and it now POSTS without AUX1_FAN connected which is good...

read the reviews of the case and people said the fans it comes with are average anyway.

slightly more concerning is that the fan rams up to high RPM as the OS loads. the mobo is from a Lenovo workstation (its running a Xeon 12755v6) so possible it's "supposed" to be 100% fan speed.

hopefully i can do something with software fan control..

Ramping up on boot is normal for older mobos. Its part of normal POST procedure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

if you read what i said, it doesnt RAMP on POST. it rams after POST. and it's not an older mobo. the 1275 v6 is Kaby Lake.

The BIOS has some Thermal settings in it with some presets so i'll tweak that.

3 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

if you read what i said, it doesnt RAMP on POST. it rams after POST. and it's not an older mobo. the 1275 v6 is Kaby Lake.

The BIOS has some Thermal settings in it with some presets so i'll tweak that.

You can also try this one:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Turns out the reason the fans were running so fast was that the plug in case temperature sensor wasnt connected. I omitted this when I transferred the board to a new case.

Guess the system must have gone into some kind of fault mode with no signal from this sensor and ramped up the fans. Now with this connected the CPU, SYS and AUX1 fans all run at sensible speeds. Unfortunately AUX2 still runs loud so I'm just going to run a splitter off of AUX1 for my third fan.