New Build Won't Post

xXGEEBEEXx

Hello everyone.  I'm a long time fan of the show.  I've just finished building my first PC after weeks of research.  It posted and was working fine until I started updating drivers.  I'm looking for your help to get back up and running.

The System:  All of the parts are brand new with the exception of the GPU.

Ryzen 5 3600x

ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Sabrent M.2 NVME 500GB drive

2x8 GB of Adata Ram

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 (used)

Corsair CX650 PSU

I was able to get the PC to post and installed Windows 10 with no issue.  It was up and running for about 5 hours with no issues except for a problem with sound.  I couldn’t get sound out of HDMI, the front or the rear headphone jacks.  I decided to install the AMD chipset drivers and Realtek Audio drivers in an effort to fix it. 

After rebooting the system, I can’t get the system to post.  No ASRock boot screen, and won’t load Windows.  

All of the lights on the board light light up on power on.
The case fans run.  The CPU fan runs. 
The GPU fan spins up, then spins down immediately.  It repeats this over and over.

Here’s what I’ve tried.
Checked all of the connections on the board.
Removed the RAM and tried just 1 stick in each of the slots.
Removed & reinstalled the CMOS battery.
Replaced the GPU with a brand new RX 570.  (exact same issues with the fan spinning up and down)

I’m at a loss as to what could be wrong.  The system was working very well up until I installed the chipset and audio drivers.  I don’t believe the issue is really with those drivers given that I can’t even get to the ASRock boot screen, let alone load Windows. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?  

19 minutes ago, xXGEEBEEXx said:

Hello everyone.  I'm a long time fan of the show.  I've just finished building my first PC after weeks of research.  It posted and was working fine until I started updating drivers.  I'm looking for your help to get back up and running.

The System:  All of the parts are brand new with the exception of the GPU.

Ryzen 5 3600x

ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Sabrent M.2 NVME 500GB drive

2x8 GB of Adata Ram

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 (used)

Corsair CX650 PSU

I was able to get the PC to post and installed Windows 10 with no issue.  It was up and running for about 5 hours with no issues except for a problem with sound.  I couldn’t get sound out of HDMI, the front or the rear headphone jacks.  I decided to install the AMD chipset drivers and Realtek Audio drivers in an effort to fix it. 

After rebooting the system, I can’t get the system to post.  No ASRock boot screen, and won’t load Windows.  

All of the lights on the board light light up on power on.
The case fans run.  The CPU fan runs. 
The GPU fan spins up, then spins down immediately.  It repeats this over and over.

Here’s what I’ve tried.
Checked all of the connections on the board.
Removed the RAM and tried just 1 stick in each of the slots.
Removed & reinstalled the CMOS battery.
Replaced the GPU with a brand new RX 570.  (exact same issues with the fan spinning up and down)

I’m at a loss as to what could be wrong.  The system was working very well up until I installed the chipset and audio drivers.  I don’t believe the issue is really with those drivers given that I can’t even get to the ASRock boot screen, let alone load Windows. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?  

Hmm, that is very odd. If any computers you have access to or any buddies computers have a piezo speaker you can plug that into the mobo’s front panel header (it will just say speaker) and it should beep at you, and the pattern of the beeps would tell you what is wrong. 

Beyond that, how long did you remove the cmos battery for, and did you unplug the PSU from power while you did it? You can also find a jumper on the motherboard (I’d look in the manual, may be easier to find) for a reset cmos jumper and that will reset your BIOS as well.

Assuming you can get it to post again, may want to check if the BIOS is very out of date, and if so, update it. 

Unfortunately without a display signal, it’s going to be hard to help you as it looks like you tried all of the standard troubleshooting ideas.

Just to confirm, you are plugging the monitor cable into the video card, not the motherboard correct? And are you using HDMI, D-Sub, or display port? Can try a different monitor with a different type of cable and see if that helps for some reason. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have access to a speaker so I'm kinda limited.  I'll probably have to make a run to a local store and pick one up.

I'm using HDMI to a new monitor, I do have a different monitor that I can try.  I am plugged into the HDMI out on the GPU, not the board.

This is very strange given that everything was pretty much fine.  

soooo.... I dug up an old monitor and plugged it in.  The system booted up without issue.  So there's something going on with my brand new Samsung curved monitor.

@LIGISTX Thank you for the reply and the help.  Much appreciated.

Just now, xXGEEBEEXx said:

soooo.... I dug up an old monitor and plugged it in.  The system booted up without issue.  So there's something going on with my brand new Samsung curved monitor.

@LIGISTX Thank you for the reply and the help.  Much appreciated.

Or... try using both monitors at once. I have seen some computers not show signal over HDMI with nothing else plugged in, which is weird I know. Does the new monitor you have support Display Port? You can get a DP cable and give that a shot.

At least you have a place to start working the issue from now. You know it has to do with the monitor, the connection being used (HDMI), or something at least to do with those things.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air