Slow internet

Liamisko123

Hey guys i've just boight a new gigabit switcher cuz the old one i had was only 100mbps.My router is gigabit as well. 

The problem is that i should have 600mbps and I'm only getting something over 90. The results are even worse on my notebook. The speed there is like 9mbps.

Pls does anybody have a clue what the problem might be ? Do i have to do some config on the switcher or what. The saddest thing about this is that the swithcer cost around 80 bucks so pretty expensive .

Thanks for your time.

How are you measuring the different speeds and what switch is this exactly?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

check the ethernet cords, once I accidentally bought cat 5e cause I was in a rush and didn't realize until I double checked,

also check the connections, could be a loose fit.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

11 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

check the ethernet cords, once I accidentally bought cat 5e cause I was in a rush and didn't realize until I double checked,

also check the connections, could be a loose fit.

cat5e Is a Gigabit Internet cable. It can handle everything up to 1 Gigabit just fine :P That would not be an issue

@Liamisko123  If you are Connecting over WIFI Make sure your laptops WIFI Card is actually able to hit those speeds. My laptop is from 2012, its wifi card is limited to 100 Mbits up and down. Wired connection i can get my Gigabit speeds no problem, but anything wifi i would not get anywhere close to that.

Also are you in the same room as the router, If you are on wifi are you on 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz wifi? 

Are you sure you got a Proper gigabit switch and if so are you using the proper ports?

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

cat5e Is a Gigabit Internet cable. It can handle everything up to 1 Gigabit just fine :P That would not be an issue

guess I had the worlds worst cat 5e cable, seeing as once I replaced it with a cat 6 cable, my issues went away.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

@Liamisko123  If you are Connecting over WIFI Make sure your laptops WIFI Card is actually able to hit those speeds. My laptop is from 2012, its wifi card is limited to 100 Mbits up and down. Wired connection i can get my Gigabit speeds no problem, but anything wifi i would not get anywhere close to that.

Also are you in the same room as the router, If you are on wifi are you on 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz wifi? 

Are you sure you got a Proper gigabit switch and if so are you using the proper ports?

I'm going thru ethernet cable so that shouldnt be a problem ... I've got cat 5e

11 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

wait I thought that all of the ports are gigabit   

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1016d/

1 minute ago, Liamisko123 said:

Speedtest by ookla and this is the switcher https://www.alza.sk/tp-link-tl-sg1016d-d185071.htm

So if you plug into your router directly you get 600Mbps? Or is that just the speed you have listed in your subscription? Because those two can be pretty far off.

Try another speedtesting website like fast.com too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

So if you plug into your router directly you get 600Mbps? Or is that just the speed you have listed in your subscription? Because those two can be pretty far off.

Try another speedtesting website like fast.com too.

If i take the ethernet cable that comes right from the router i get like  420 :/ still better that the previous numbers

gonna try the fast.com

same results

you know what's weird that i get sick results ONLY from one hole ..(i mean cable ...)

why don't i get the same results everywhere in my house?

3 minutes ago, Liamisko123 said:

you know what's weird that i get sick results ONLY from one hole ..(i mean cable ...)

why don't i get the same results everywhere in my house?

Niceeeee the problem was in the cable coming from the wall. Now i get something around 560mbps

Thank you all!