Does RAM and flash memory of a router matter?

Mahbub

i have two choices, asus ac53u (128mb flash, 128mb ram) or asus ac53 (8mb flash, 64 mb ram), both routers have mimo and i need to connect two devices wirelessly. now the ac53 is cheaper but the less ram and so much less flash compared to the 53u is making me afraid. so i want to ask do flash memory and ram matter? especially flash memory? because theres a huge difference.. one has 128 mb flash another just 8mb flash.

Flash, not so much. RAM, very much.

The problem with consumer routers is actually their RAM. Sure people like to blame firmware, bad patches, crap hardware, while true to an extent its the RAM that causes most issues with reboots and lockups. That being said, 64MB is plenty for a light weight OS which Asus is not with a ton of its bloatware.

Is their any reason you are looking at routers at that price range? There are much better routers for 1/3rd the cost.

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Flash, not so much. RAM, very much.

The problem with consumer routers is actually their RAM. Sure people like to blame firmware, bad patches, crap hardware, while true to an extent its the RAM that causes most issues with reboots and lockups. That being said, 64MB is plenty for a light weight OS which Asus is not with a ton of its bloatware.

Is their any reason you are looking at routers at that price range? There are much better routers for 1/3rd the cost.

I have checked all available ones.. asus one seems the best.. others either dont specify ram or dont have mu mimo...  But u tell me the names of better ones.. i will check if its available... And i am buying this router to use as a range extender/access point.

Then what you need is an AP not a router. In that case i think you would be better off with ubiquity(only downside to it is the separate controller, you can either buy HW from them that runs it or you can also download it and host it on your own HW):