ping spikes vs cable/powerline/network card

mohabed96

I have a msi x299m gaming pro carbon ac, it has a built in Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 module, and my home router is an asrock g10, both have the latest drivers. when I’m connected by wire my ping ingame (csgo) is about 5-10 ms, and of course sometimes I join a bad server with bad ping, 30-50 ms range. But the ping is consistent. However, I can’t use cable all the time as the cable is running in the middle of the house and is an annoyance to the rest of my family.

So, I have to use wireless connection. In game when the sever is good the ping is about 10-20 ms, however there is constant ping spikes. And when the sever is bad the game gets unplayable. I originally thought that the problem was the router provided by the isp, so during black Friday I picked up the asrock g10. My motherboard has a decent built in wireless card, and two large antennas, my router is about 6-7 meters away and there is one wall (wood frame + drywall) between the pc and the router.

When I test the connection with the command line “ping -n 100 x.x.x.x (my routers ip address)” I get average below 1 ms with cable connection, and out of the 100 runs I get 1-2 spikes up to 4-6 ms. With wifi I get average 2-4 ms and with 5-6 spikes between 10-30ms, and sometimes almost 90 ms.

Running a cable from my room to the router is not easy, I have to route it first to the attic then back down again. So, buying a powerline hub (Netgear Powerline PL1000) or a new Asus PCE-AC88 is a much easier solution.

The question is if the solution will actually help. I would appreciate someone else’s take on this, if you have been in a similar situation and have tried these solutions then I would love to hear the results.  

The spikes are probably caused by other devices or neighbouring networks conflicting with yours.

Depending on where you live, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi also has to periodically check whether flight radar is detected, to turn itself off so as to not cause any interference.

The problem with powerline is that those cables aren't shielded and are essentially also acting as large antenae so the quality isn't necessarily better than Wi-Fi. It's more of a cheap solution that may work better than Wi-Fi, if your buildings construction (e.g. steel beams) makes Wi-Fi unfeasible.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

The spikes are probably caused by other devices or neighbouring networks conflicting with yours.

Depending on where you live, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi also has to periodically check whether flight radar is detected, to turn itself off so as to not cause any interference.

The problem with powerline is that those cables aren't shielded and are essentially also acting as large antenae so the quality isn't necessarily better than Wi-Fi. It's more of a cheap solution that may work better than Wi-Fi, if your buildings construction (e.g. steel beams) makes Wi-Fi unfeasible.

We live in a single family home, just one router in the entire building. The house is wooden frame. At any single point about 4-8 devices are connected to the router by wifi, almost all on 2.4 ghz, just my pc and my laptop are on the 5ghz line.